DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2800G Slow Connection & Reliability

• rogerb
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jun 2009 12:41 #1 by rogerb
2800G Slow Connection & Reliability was created by rogerb
I have a 2800G and for a long time had been on a Virgin Broadband up to 8Mb service and was getting a connection that would vary between 1.5M to 2M. (I live in a rural area around 4K from the exchange.) The connection was solid and the speed acceptable (ish) for where I live.

A few months ago I started to have all sorts of connection and speed issues with ADSL drops and connection speeds down at less than 512K. I checked, rewired or changed all of the cabling from the master socket and even tried changing from my filtered master socket faceplate to a separate ADSL filter, all to no avail. My house is only 6 years old so external wiring to exchange should be OK spec wise.

I checked the 2800G was on the latest firmware and even tried rolling back to the previous version after reading various posts here, but the problem remained.

Virgin Customer Support (Hah!) were an absolute waste of time, so much so that I changed my provider over to Entanet through ADSL24. Within a few days of changeover the connection speed returned to @ 2M, but I was still getting drops of ADSL sync, around once every 24/48 hours, but never at the same time of day. It got to the point where the options were to try another router or have a BT engineer visit with the possible big bill if it wasn't a line fault.

I didn't have access to a router to borrow, so splashed out £43 on a Netgear DG834G. My connection problems disappeared straight away and, even better, I now have a 3M connection. (Sync speed 3776K at s/n 6.8dB.) This has now been rock solid since fitting the Netgear.

Can anyone help with a) what the problem with my 2800G might be and b) why the Netgear is performing so much better? Are there non-standard settings or hidden tweaks I should be using?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rogerb
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jun 2009 08:12 #2 by rogerb
Replied by rogerb on topic 2800G Slow Connection & Reliability
Has anyone got any thoughts or advice? Or should I just bin the Draytek and stick with the Netgear?

More
18 Jun 2009 20:14 #3 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic 2800G Slow Connection & Reliability
The 2800 is notorious for the once a day drops on max.

can you post up a copy of the adsl bits per bin graph taken at 10pm and again at 8am?

• rogerb
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jun 2009 11:08 #4 by rogerb
Lorian - Many thanks for the response. May I ask what you are looking for from the adsl bits per bin graphs?

As I work a lot from home I will have to find a window to swap back to the 2800G to get the info. Do I need to leave it running for a few days for the profile to settle before taking the graphs or will you be able to get the information you are looking for from graphs taken in the first day or so.

As you can imagine with a rock solid 3Mb profile from the Netgear I'm a little hesitant about losing this, even if it is only for a week or so until the profile resets. I guess I was hoping the answer to my problems would be something like 'It's this setting" or 'It's gone faulty in this way and Draytek can fix it."

Thanks again for the help.

More
19 Jun 2009 11:16 #5 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic 2800G Slow Connection & Reliability
On the maintenance menu, you'll need to take a screen shot.

If it's a lot of hassle don't bother though, as I am afraid the is probably little to be done to help.

I eventually moved from a 2800 to a 2700 for exactly the same reason, and had 2 years happy sync'ing since.

• rogerb
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jun 2009 11:25 #6 by rogerb
Lorian - Many thanks for the prompt response. I realised the question in my post wasn't very clear, what I meant to ask is what do you expect the bin graphs to tell you, e.g. they indicate the MTU setting needs changing or something.

From your response it looks like the 2800 is a lost cause. That's a shame as I'd had a 2600 in the past and then moved to the 2800G to get the wireless. A pity that a £43 Netgear seems to outperform it.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Moderators: Sami