DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Unable to ping static ip on 2820

• havering
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jun 2009 16:01 #1 by havering
Unable to ping static ip on 2820 was created by havering
I have installed a Draytek 2820 router on a BT adsl. BT have provided a static ip but I cannot ping this ip from a remote system. The home pc has internet access ok through the 2820. I contacted Draytek to ensure that I had the router settings ok for internet access with the static ip and I have!
I then contacted BT and they confirmed that the router was logged in ok and on line. They tried to ping but could not either. Was then told that BT allocates static ips dynamically and that I should configure the router to connect dynamically to their service. I tried that and still cannot ping the provided ip.
Until I can solve this problem I cannot enable vpn on the 2820.
Any help will be most welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2009 16:47 #2 by andypcarpenter
Replied by andypcarpenter on topic Unable to ping static ip on 2820
Hi,

You're right, BT deliver the fixed IP dynamically.

By default, remote ping replies are disabled - have you enabled that on the router?

I have just left BT to go to BeThere (ADSL to ADSL2+) so if you send me a list of your settings I can compare them with mine if that helps.

Best regards,

Andy.

• havering
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jun 2009 18:12 #3 by havering
Replied by havering on topic Unable to ping static ip on 2820
Thanks Andy. I will check the settings and let you know. Will be early next week. I suppose that if BT is dynamically supplying a fixed ip it does not matter if the router is configured to receive its address automatically or is set to "fixed ip"? Thing that concerns me is that when I enabled a vpn user account on Tuesday I was able to connect to the 2820 from a remote location. That is to say that the VPN light on the router went positive and the client pc showed connected. Today however when I went to complete the installation of the software that is to be run on a vpn I could not get a reply from the router to the remote call even though the vpn account name and password had not been changed since the other day. If I can't get the router to respond to a remote call I am never going to be able to run the vpn from the proposed server. I threw in the towel in the end without even getting as far as installing the software. Any ideas?

Best regards

Tim

More
26 Jun 2009 18:45 #4 by andypcarpenter
Replied by andypcarpenter on topic Unable to ping static ip on 2820
Hi Tim,

The only issue with setting the IP manually is making sure you have the other settings correct (subnet mask, gateway and DNS) - if you leave the setting to dynamic then BT provide all of this automatically.

If you can get internet connectivity from the network on the inside of the Draytek then you should be able to get connectivity the other way.

I wouldn't trust ping responses with external connections as like I said by default routers are normally set to ignore ping requests.

I have a lan-lan vpn setup with a Draytek 2800G and a Netgear DG834G. I have posted on the VPN forum how I've done this. It was pretty painless and works really well.

Best regards,

Andy.

Moderators: Sami