Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Strict MAC to IP Bind and DHCP

• 2blueuk
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jul 2009 17:12 #1 by 2blueuk
Strict MAC to IP Bind and DHCP was created by 2blueuk
Hi there,

Im using a Vigor 2820n and to make the wireless network more secure I've enable strict Mac to IP bind. Now this method as I understand it should replace DHCP Server and give the IP addresses I specified on the router according to given mac's (Dont worry I left DHCP on).
Everything has been working fine until recently at random some of the PC's would lose their IP addresses and get something unusual from the DHCP router.
Everything works fine untill I manually write the IP address specified for that particular client through control panel>network connections...blah blah
But as soon as I put them on automatic IP again, they go right back to the previous silly IP address again, and of course no internet connection.
I took a look at ipconfig/all on these machines and they display something even more unusual. A DHCP Server at 192.168.xxx.xxx....?????
And this IP adress just happens to be a wired 'Printer Server' which is totally isolated from wireless lan.
First I thought it might be a rouge WAP somewhere but I did network scans one after another, and it hasnt come up with anything other than devices that was already on my network.
Any one knows why this happens?

Thanx in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 2blueuk
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jul 2009 11:27 #2 by 2blueuk
Replied by 2blueuk on topic Strict MAC to IP Bind and DHCP
Anyone.....??

More
17 Jul 2009 11:38 #3 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Strict MAC to IP Bind and DHCP
My understanding is that even if you bind an IP to a Mac DHCP still has to dish it out when the client connects. I think this is the same problem as in this post http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12976. We all thought this problem was solved. there is a long thread in the wireless lan area http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12434 about this.

Howard

Moderators: Sami