DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2600 Plus, DNS Server IP's - Won't Connect [FIX]

• upnorth
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jul 2009 21:17 #1 by upnorth
After having been offline for over a day now, I thought it might be useful to make a note of this bug before in case anyone else gets caught and searches this forum.

Vigor 2600 Plus - working fine on standard ADSL (PPPoA) when getting the DNS server IP's from my ISP, but my ISP's DNS servers were slow sometimes, so I thought I'd add openDNS' DNS server IP's instead.

So in the router, I (mistakenly) found a box for the DNS server IP's on the Internet Access Setup -> MPoA page, entered them and clicked 'Ok'. I was asked to reboot the router, and I did choosing 'With current settings'.

The router rebooted, but then would not connect to the web.

It synched with my local exchange fine, but would not dial or connect. And the router status page didn't show the 'Dial PPPoA' button as it normally would - with hindsight, that was a big clue.

So I removed the openDNS IP's, clicked Ok and rebooted - still wouldn't connect (of course, it's still in MPoA at this point).

After many reboots, resets and reinstalling the firmware (BTW, turn off your firewall on Mac OSX or you'll get 'Send Data Failed! from the firmware tool) and settings, I found what the problem was.

When you enter your own DNS server IP's on the MPoA page and click Ok, then reboot (as you have to) it enables MPoA and DISABLES the PPPoE/PPPoA Client.

Would you believe it .... why not have a warning such as: 'This will disable PPPoA/PPPoE - are you sure you want to do this?'

The fix is to go into internet access and setup -> PPPoE/PPPoA page and re-enable PPPoE/PPPoA (which will, in turn, disable MPoA), then click Ok.

Or better still, make sure you enter the new DNS settings on the PPPoA/PPPoE page in the first place, rather than the MPoA page.

Great one lads ... I wonder how many people have thrown their modems away because of that small lack of warning message ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2009 20:41 #2 by sebd
Well, I am surprised.

Draytek products being "quirky" and difficult to use?

I've only been a computer technician since 1982 with the motto "If I can't fix it, it probably can't be fixed" yet I've NEVER dealt with such poor products and even poorer after sales service before I encountered Draytek (and I spent three months working for - the now Sir :-D - Alan Sugar before realising Amstrad's modus operandi and mine didn't quite gell).

Draytek sucks.............

...................Period (as our American cousins would say).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami