Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Bricked by Firmware Update

• ratman99uk
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jul 2009 17:38 #1 by ratman99uk
2820 Bricked by Firmware Update was created by ratman99uk
Hi everyone.

I just installed the lastest firmware update to my 2820 and bricked it.
I managed to get it working again (see below). Has anyone else had the same issue? Im trying to work out if it was one of those things or a fault with that fimware.

I have sent an email to draytek support below:

I just installed the Firmware update 3.3.1.2 Official Release from version 3.3.0 that shipped. This bricked the router, after just spending the last 1 hour trying to hardwhere reset the unit. I got it to come on for around 5min at a time (By turning on with a pin held in the Factory Reset). During this time period, I could ping the unit on 192.168.1.1 (was previously 192.168.5.254) but not access the webpage admin. During this time the "ACT", "USB" and "CSM" lights flashed repetedly together. After the 5min period they simply stayed on and the computer reported the network cable had been unpluged.

I managed to get the unit working again by installing the 3.3.2_RC5 relese candidate firmware, via the tftp client on your site. After updating the firmware to the RC version the orignal ip address of the unit was also restored along with all the settings.

I think you may wish to withdraw the "3.3.1.2 Official Release" as clearly it has issues. I attempted to do a .rsp firmware upadate via the tftp clinet, to ensure that it wasnt an issue that has came about by using the .all update.

Ratman99UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2009 16:24 #2 by andynormancx
Replied by andynormancx on topic 2820 Bricked by Firmware Update
I installed 3.3.1.2 on my 2820 without any problems.

More
22 Jul 2009 20:41 #3 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic 2820 Bricked by Firmware Update
mines fine on that firmware, in fact it's just rolled past 1000hrs with the adsl connection up. That's a bit of a record for me.

• ratman99uk
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jul 2009 13:40 #4 by ratman99uk
Replied by ratman99uk on topic Thanks
Thanks for getting back to me guys.

Draytek just got back to me too and said they havnt had any one report the same issue. So im gessing something went a miss during the flashing :(

Thanks

Paul

More
29 Jul 2009 10:28 #5 by dub_master77
Replied by dub_master77 on topic 2820 Bricked by Firmware Update
I can tell you that its a problem that is not exclusive to you. I have done the same thing yesterday and I get the same three lights flashing repeatedly and rapidly so the factory reset instructions will not work.
I think that I am going to try and reinstall the firmware as you have done.
For some reason everytime that I reboot my box I get the correct address assigned to my PC and the router always has the correct G/Way address assigned as can be seen on my pc and its always pingable.
I have sent a support letter to draytek so I can see what they come back with and I will post the reply on this thread.

More
30 Jul 2009 20:45 #6 by nutella69
Replied by nutella69 on topic 2820 Bricked by Firmware Update
Have downloaded the Firmware from http://www.draytek.com.tw/user/SupportDownloads.php and got the same problems!

Have now restored the old firmware through TFTP - Thanks to ratman99uk

Moderators: Sami