DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Demon ADSL2+ & Vigor2800

• alphanov
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jul 2009 00:27 #1 by alphanov
Demon ADSL2+ & Vigor2800 was created by alphanov
Demon, bless 'em, upgraded me to ADSL2+ in early May. My connection prior to this had been totally stable with my Vigor 100 and was stable for a few weeks after "upgrade". I am at the furthest point from the exchange that ADSL used to support and have never had, what could be termed, a "fast" connection (routinely 512k).

My problems started when the ADSL signal totally disappeared and finally, after battling through Demon support's script, it was diagnosed as a "fault in the exchange". This "fault" required a reboot of some device and took around 7 days for this to happen. Following this reboot my connection became unstable and dropped at random throughout the day and night. I carried out the usual tests, again, of placing the modem directly into the master test socket but the problem remained. I had a spare 2wire router so tried this with the same results.

I bought a Vigor2800, second hand, and installed that with the same results. Demon support finally accepted that there was a problem and I eventually received an email which stated that my profile had been reset and to monitor the line for 24 hours. Unfortunately this coincided with me working away for a few days so I didn't get back to them and the case was closed. Following the profile reset I noticed that the 2wire modem stayed connected for longer but when it did drop out it didn't reconnect. I contacted Demon (again) who stated that "my router must be faulty" or "there is interference inside your house". I explained that I am an emc engineer so know about interference sources and that there were none and that the modem wasn't faulty before! At their insistence I connected the Vigor 2800 (without the 3G modem inserted) and monitored the connection. The line stayed connected for around 33 hours and then dropped out and didn't reconnect until I rebooted the modem.

I've noticed that Demon seems to have many entries on this board but wonder if anyone else is getting the same problem as I am now. I am at the point of writing to Demon HQ and would like to be able to say that this is not a unique fault.

Sorry for the long post!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami