DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n & Virgin Broadband Service

• pcorfield
  • Topic Author
More
01 Aug 2009 16:00 #1 by pcorfield
2820n & Virgin Broadband Service was created by pcorfield
I purchased a 2820n so as to be sure of being to use this excellent MIMO router with Virgin broadband (being the fastest broadband that I can find).

My main question is this; whilst I have a 20mb firbe optic broadband service which is devastatingly fast when plugged directly into the cable modem, I seem to experience a significant reduction in speed when using the broadband service via the router.

To illustrate this, as I have just spent 3hrs trying to correct a rare service outage, if I download ie 8 from MS from my desktop, the file comes down at about 330kbs but if I plug my laptop directly into the modem, I can pull the same file at in excess of 2mbs.

Does anyone have any idea as to where all my bandwidth is going?

It does not appear to make any sense to me.

The connectivity is CAT 5 from my PC, into a Powerplug 84Mb ethernet over power unit to the other side of the room, with a receiving unit then connected directly to the Vigor by another CAT 5 lead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2009 19:27 #2 by gordondack
Replied by gordondack on topic Re: 2820n & Virgin Broadband Service

pcorfield wrote: I purchased a 2820n so as to be sure of being to use this excellent MIMO router with Virgin broadband (being the fastest broadband that I can find).

My main question is this; whilst I have a 20mb firbe optic broadband service which is devastatingly fast when plugged directly into the cable modem, I seem to experience a significant reduction in speed when using the broadband service via the router.

To illustrate this, as I have just spent 3hrs trying to correct a rare service outage, if I download ie 8 from MS from my desktop, the file comes down at about 330kbs but if I plug my laptop directly into the modem, I can pull the same file at in excess of 2mbs.

Does anyone have any idea as to where all my bandwidth is going?

It does not appear to make any sense to me.

The connectivity is CAT 5 from my PC, into a Powerplug 84Mb ethernet over power unit to the other side of the room, with a receiving unit then connected directly to the Vigor by another CAT 5 lead.

Have you tried connecting direct to the router without the power plug inline?

It may actually be that, as I have no problems with VM 50mb broadband and get close to that speed with the 2820.

More
03 Aug 2009 12:39 #3 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic 2820n & Virgin Broadband Service
It may be being slowed down by any QOS rules you have configured, as these mean the router has to inspect every data packet passing through it, and it's processing power is not particularly great.

More
03 Aug 2009 15:10 #4 by nr1bacc
Replied by nr1bacc on topic 2820n & Virgin Broadband Service
I have a 2820 connected to virgin and get odd responses too BUT the thing is that I find it is more to do with the virgin network being less stable than it sometimes appears. Have a suspicion that there is some issue between the two connections I have in place but it remains a suspicion.

• lewis_sa@eggconnect.net
More
04 Aug 2009 07:43 #5 by lewis_sa@eggconnect.net
Replied by lewis_sa@eggconnect.net on topic 2820n & Virgin Broadband Service
I have just spent 6 weeks analysing this issue with Virgin Media. The 2820vn I have installed is connected via the WAN2 interface to the cable modem and via a CAT5 cable to the PC . It has no QoS defined and all load balancing is disabled and yet I only get 1-2mb of a 20Mb service. When I use a 2910vg router I get upto 18mb so the issue appears to be with the 2820 router. The Virgin Media engineer has suggested that because the 2820n is an ADSL router half its time is spent checking for an ADSL line instead of providing service to the WAN2 interface. Don't know if its true but the ADSL light does flash a lot considering nothing is plugged into it. Any idea's welcome because Virgin Media now say its the router and will not provide any more assistance

More
04 Aug 2009 09:05 #6 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic 2820n & Virgin Broadband Service
Try disabling the unused wan with telnet not sure of the syntax for multiple wans but telnet command instructions are:

2.20.5 wan disable
This command allows you to disable wan connection.
Example
> wan disable
%WAN diabled.

Howard

Moderators: Sami