DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

is there a 2820 WAN 2 setup guide??

• splank
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2009 11:15 #1 by splank
is there a 2820 WAN 2 setup guide?? was created by splank
I know there is details in the 2820 manual - but I was wondering if anybody had made a guide on the options available and setup senarios...

I am later going to try out a fall over setup in our office using 2 spare routers (2820 been the "master" with a 2800 as the "slave" on WAN2) but not quite sure on how it should be setup... would be nice to read a guide before i start playing and ripping my hair out!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2009 07:32 #2 by davegarratt
Replied by davegarratt on topic is there a 2820 WAN 2 setup guide??
Did you ever figure this out ?

More
11 Sep 2009 09:30 #3 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic is there a 2820 WAN 2 setup guide??
It should be possible to do this by setting the 2800 up as the ADSL modem for WAN2 and to do that you should only need to enable PPPoE passthrough and stop it from connecting by unticking "Always On" and setting the idle timeout to 0. Then set the 2820's WAN2 up as you would with a Vigor 120.

• splank
  • Topic Author
More
11 Sep 2009 12:00 #4 by splank
Replied by splank on topic is there a 2820 WAN 2 setup guide??
This was a while ago - sorry for not updating...

But I setup the 2800 as a normal router, and to push out IP addresses via DHCP (im sure I could set this as fixed on the 2820 but didnt try as it was just to see how the fall over functioned),.

I told the 2820 that there was an ethernet device on the WAN2 port, left the internet access settings as they were and it just worked straight away without any other issues

If I had more time to play with the setup - im sure there would be a better way to manage it - im sure the posibilities for the setup of this are numerous...

More
11 Sep 2009 12:18 #5 by davegarratt
Replied by davegarratt on topic is there a 2820 WAN 2 setup guide??
So on the 2820, when you setup the WAN2 connection don't you have to define the isp logon details - was that not confusing given than the 2800 was logging onto the isp without help ? Also what about having 2 dhcp severs etc. Were they setup with different IPs?

Thanks

Dave

• splank
  • Topic Author
More
11 Sep 2009 13:07 #6 by splank
Replied by splank on topic is there a 2820 WAN 2 setup guide??
No..
the 2800 was dealing with the connection to the ISP and was acting as a normal router using PPPoA

the router was then connected to the WAN2 port of the 2820, which got an IP address from the 2800 (different range compared to the normal network) - having it setup like this should not cause a DHCP problem as the traffic is been routed - it just used the other router as a gateway....

I did not have to define the ISP login details on the 2820 for the 2800 on WAN2 for it to work.

Moderators: Sami