DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Faulty phone/ADSL causes router lockup

• sbv3000
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2009 15:27 #1 by sbv3000
I have a 2820n with ADSL and Cable as WAN1/2 which has been rock solid since install. Recently had problems with voice calls on the phone line that carries the ADSL, (callers heard ringing but phone did not). The router locked up twice at or near the same time as this. Logged on to BT and requested a 'line test' which showed no faults. However; after that and rebooting the router SNR has dropped slightly and things are back to stable. So a point to check if a router is playing up, is the phone/ADSL 'good'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2009 08:56 #2 by philip_l
Replied by philip_l on topic Faulty phone/ADSL causes router lockup
Hi

It is a very poorly designed router if it locks up due to a line fault! What if you needed more advanced diagnostics that ADSL2 provides which requires a working ADSL router, but it is locked up due the same fault you need to diagnose?

My guess it was the Draytek locking up first for some reason due to a hardware/software problem and that was causing your line to malfunction.

Regards

Phil

More
30 Sep 2009 08:03 #3 by flob
Replied by flob on topic Faulty phone/ADSL causes router lockup
I had this problem and it turned out to be an old splitter.

Replaced and all was well.

• sbv3000
  • Topic Author
More
30 Sep 2009 12:07 #4 by sbv3000
Replied by sbv3000 on topic Faulty phone/ADSL causes router lockup
Guys

Thanks for the feedback.

my faceplate is an original embedded splitter design, (which btw I checked the connections on) and I did some elimination tests by disconnecting the router from the adsl, monitored stability, monitored voice calls etc. Callers were getting the rtnr without the router connected etc etc. Agreed that there are several potential permutations for what I experienced but the problems 'went away' soon as I had the line remotely tested :) The 2820 has been back to its normal reliable self thereafter

Moderators: Sami