DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 load balancing - assign specific apps to each wan port?

• dkazaz
  • Topic Author
More
10 Aug 2009 19:45 #1 by dkazaz
Hi, I have a 2820 and I am thinking about ordering a 2nd ADSL connection to take advantage of the load balancing feature. I'd like to understand this better before I go to the effort of getting the 2nd line.

Will I be able to set it up so one application e.g. Bitorrent or usenet goes through one connection, allowing the other one to be used for all other purposes e.g. browsing, email etc?

I'd really appreciate any advice if anyone has actually done this or knows for a fact it can be done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2009 14:13 #2 by jimmyn
I've set up load balancing so all newsgroup traffic goes through one WAN link and webbrowsing etc goes through another. Its pretty easy to do just click on WAN - LOAD BALANCE POLICY - INDEX - then leave everything blanks except the port number that you want to route. That's it!

• dkazaz
  • Topic Author
More
11 Aug 2009 20:17 #3 by dkazaz
That's great, thank you!

I'm thinking about bittorrent and the way it can sometimes saturate the upstream connection with uploads. This can sometimes slow down web browsing quite a bit.

Is it be possible to also bind the upload to the same wan connection to keep the other free for browsing etc?

I'm asking because the upload is not normally linked to a specific IP port as far as I know....

Moderators: Sami