DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2820 - can this be done?

More
11 Aug 2009 12:35 #1 by st220
Draytek 2820 - can this be done? was created by st220
Hi

We use the above router as a secondary connection to the Internet. We have configured an IP address of 192.168.1.2 on subnet 1 and an Ethernet cable connects the router directly to a LAN card on a server, with IP address 192.168.1.1.

Our main LAN IP subnet is 10.10.x.y. We have also configured a second IP address for IP routing (i.e. subnet 2) as 10.10.1.40 and connected a second cable to the switch we use for the main LAN. Want we need to do is get out to the Internet via this router from a LAN connected PC, with it's gateway set to 10.10.1.40. It seemed to work fine for a few minutes, after seting RIP protocol control to the first subnet then stopped working????? The connection from the server is OK, via the 192.168,x,y interface.

If I ping an Internet based DNS server it timesout, ping web sites gives name resolution errors. I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that traffic sent to 10.10.1.40 would be routed by the device to 192.168.1.2 and hence to the Internet.

What am I missing?

Many Thanks

Glen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2009 14:14 #2 by galaxy60
Replied by galaxy60 on topic Draytek 2820 - can this be done?
Hello, I may have got this wrong as your post doesn't make much sense but what I believe you need to do is connect the existing network into WAN2 of your Draytek 2820 router and connect any of your PC'S switches into any ouf the four LAN ports. your LAN will by default have a subnet of 192.168.1.0 from factory the router IP adress is 192.168.1.1.with the DHCP server turned on so you do not neeed to assign any static IP addresseslog into your draytek routers setup and goto internet connection -> WAN2 and setup the connection to obtain an address and use no login from the ISP.

If you can try and post a drawing of you network setup

www.cctv4all.com - setup guides for CCTV engineers

More
12 Aug 2009 13:28 #3 by st220
Replied by st220 on topic RE: galaxy60
Hi Galaxy60

Thanks for your reply, sorry if my post did not make sense. We are a school and all Internet traffic is sent via an ISA server and an SDSL connection to an Local Education Authority based proxy server to monitor/block inappropriate content. Our LAN uses a 10.10.x.y network.

We also have an entirely separate BT ADSL connection which uses the Draytek router. This is used for email traffic and OWA. The router connects to a server LAN card on a 192.168.1.z network. This server also has a LAN card on the main school 10.10.x.y network.

Should we want to use the Draytek for web access, we would need to either reconfigure it for the 10.10.x.y network, affecting the connection with the Exchange Server, or enable routing on the Exchange Server to pass outbound traffic from the 10.10.x.y network to the 192.168.1.z network. This second method works but is too dangerous to leave enabled as students, should they learn that changing their gateway address and turning off proxy bypasses content filtering, risk accessing inappropriate sites. With Windows Routing, you can set a filter, but only for networks, not individual computers.

What we were hoping to do is connect directly from our school LAN (i.e. our 10.10.x.y network) to the Draytek and use the filtering by MAC address to ensure that only valid computers could get to the Internet via the Draytek, by changing their gateway and proxy settings. We thought that by specifying the second IP address (10.10.1.40) and enabling IP routing, by plugging a network cable from our main LAN switch into a LAN port on the Draytek, and changing our client gateway address to 10.10.1.40, we would reach the Internet. This is not the case.

It could be we have misunderstood the purpose of the 2nd IP address and it is not possible to configure the Draytek in this way.

Thanks

Glen

More
12 Aug 2009 20:31 #4 by tazuk
Replied by tazuk on topic Draytek 2820 - can this be done?
So you want the 2820 to have two LAN IP addresses, one on each network? Is so then no it won't do that.

The 2nd IP address option under LAN, General settings is for when you want to have both NATed and non NATed access. The 1st IP would be the local LAN address and would use NAT, the 2nd IP would be one of your public IP addresses, but not the one currently assigned as the WAN IP.

More
12 Aug 2009 21:06 #5 by galaxy60
Replied by galaxy60 on topic Draytek 2820 - can this be done?
Sounds like a security risk to me and I would suspect it would be against your IT users policy you might want to check first.

www.cctv4all.com - setup guides for CCTV engineers

Moderators: Sami