Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Wifi guest setup vs Corporate LAN

• adrianmarsh
  • Topic Author
More
13 Aug 2009 10:50 #1 by adrianmarsh
Wifi guest setup vs Corporate LAN was created by adrianmarsh
Hi All,

I've a Vigor 2910G. At the moment it offers simple Wifi and LAN all joined up.
However, soon that wired LAN will be integrating into other networks, and therefore I need to change the setup. Ideally it would be:

- One wifi network for Corporate
- One wifi network for Guests
- One wired LAN for Corporate

The wifi and wired Corporate would be ok sharing the same IP space, but the Guest clients must not be able to access it.

Problem 1: Looking at the 2910, I dont think it can handle 2 wifi networks right ?
Problem 2: I'll be putting a windows 2003 server on the LAN, to handle DHCP. If I do, I'll have to disable DHCP on the 2910, so what then happens if I am able to split the networks up.

Any ideas how to achieve this?

I suspect that I'll need to add a second wifi router, but if I do, how do I then ensure that its traffic cant reach the Corporate network (maybe the Second Subnet references I see on the GUI?)

Thanks,

Adrian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2009 14:11 #2 by spence
Replied by spence on topic Wifi guest setup vs Corporate LAN
For the Corporate network, why not add a Wireless Access Point to the wired network. If you know which physical computers will access it, you can restrict it to certain MACs. Is your server going to be single or dual NIC?

Don't know the 2910, but can you set up DHCP for the wireless router but turn it off for the wired connections? That will enable your guests to be provided with an IP address whilst your internal network could have a fixed IP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami