DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Configure 2900G as a second router

• bwlonsdale
  • Topic Author
More
15 Aug 2009 00:01 #1 by bwlonsdale
Configure 2900G as a second router was created by bwlonsdale
I've just upgraded to Virgin Media's 50Mbps service and I've found that the 2900G isn't capable of this speed on its WAN port. I'm getting up to around 2.25MB/s on the 20mbps service which I always thought was pretty good. I can't get anything over that on the new service though. With the new cable modem plugged direct into the PC, I can get 5.95MB/s (again, pretty good).

So, I'm left with using the Virgin Media supplied router in order to share the connection to my home LAN - it's DIR-615 model. It's configured as 192.168.0.1 gateway address and its giving out DHCP addresses to a 192.168.0.x subnet.

However, the problem I've got now is I have no way of waking up my PCs remotely. I'd been successfully telnetting to the 2900G and using the wol <MAC> to wake up the required PC. There's no option on the DIR-615 for telnet and the router's ARP cache clears after 5 minutes and so I'm a bit stuck for WOL now.

How can I configure the 2900G to act as a second router? I want to set up a port forward on the DIR-615 to the 2900G so I can telnet onto the 2900G and issue the WOL command to the PCs. Where do I begin?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2009 07:49 #2 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Configure 2900G as a second router
Presumably you can give the 2900G an address on the new LAN in Basic Setup > LAN TCP/IP and DHCP Setup > LAN IP Network Configuration > 1st IP Address (e.g. 192.168.0.2) and turn off the DHCP server on the same screen. Connect a LAN port in the 2900G to a LAN port on the D-Link. Then on the D-Link, port forward TCP 23 to the 2900G. You should now be able to telnet into the Draytek.

There is possible alternative which works with some routers. On the D_Link try port forwarding port 7 to your LAN broadcast address (192.168.0.255). Get hold of a WOL utility such as wolcmd , but note other utilities use different ports so you may have to change the port you forward. Then to wake up your PC, using wolcmd as an example, issue the command:
Code:
wolcmd 255.255.255.255

It is worth trying, but some routers (such as the 2900G) will not pass magic packets from the WAN to the LAN. Also some ISP's may not allow magic packets either.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• bwlonsdale
  • Topic Author
More
15 Aug 2009 14:04 #3 by bwlonsdale
Replied by bwlonsdale on topic Configure 2900G as a second router
Thanks for the instructions - no luck so far unfortuntely. I can set the Draytek as 192.168.0.2, and can telnet fine to it inside the LAN but the port-forwarding doesn't seem to be working.

Wether that's the Draytek or the DLINK, I don't know. I suspect DLINK at the moment.

I've also enabled the "Allow Management from Internet" on the Draytek

I tried your other suggestion of using the broadcast address on the DLINK and it's a non-starter, it refuses to acknowledge an address with .255 on the end, just tells me it's invalid.

More
15 Aug 2009 14:12 #4 by njh
OK. We'll work on the Draytek.

"Allow Management from Internet" is redundant as you are not using the WAN port of the 2900G.

What happens when you try and port forward? Does it look like the D-Link is intercepting it and trying to get to its own interface? An alternative is to change the 2900G to a non-standard port for telnet such as 8023. Then forward 8023 from the D-Link to the Draytek.

To access the non-standard port, just add the port number at the end of the telnet command e.g.
Code:
telnet 8023

• bwlonsdale
  • Topic Author
More
16 Aug 2009 11:27 #5 by bwlonsdale
Replied by bwlonsdale on topic Configure 2900G as a second router
OK, some more results but still not working.

I disabled the "Allow Management from Internet"

I tried changing the port to 8023 and still no answer from the Draytek.

I have downloaded the tool from this site:-

http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

and forwarded port 23 to the local PC on 192.168.1.10 and it's reporting that the port is open. I tested with another couple of ports just to be sure.

I tested before and after each time to make sure that the first time the PF Checker said it was blocked and then open after the rule was in on the DIR-615.

So the DIR-615 and the forwarding looks to be fine, just no answer from the Draytek.

So it's looking like the Draytek won't answer on a forwarded port which I find odd. Maybe the Draytek's decided the forwarded port isn't intended for it and discards it?

More
16 Aug 2009 12:21 #6 by njh
It is possible that the Draytek will not accept a connection from a forwarded port. My brother's D-Link is exactly the same. I can vpn to his network, but I cannot access his D-Link router (used only as a WAP).

As a last thought, and it is a long shot, you could try setting up the WAN port of the Draytek with a fixed IP on your LAN which is different to the LAN IP you have given the Draytek. You then need to connect both the LAN and WAN of the Draytek to your D-Link. Port forward from the D-Link to the WAN port of the Draytek. I would be surprised if this worked, but you never know.

Moderators: Sami