Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

set up router with 5 statics when wan address not in range

• shae1725
  • Topic Author
More
15 Aug 2009 16:21 #1 by shae1725
Hi
Hope someone can help!

I've got lots of experience setting up routers using Bt Buisness Broadband! Its easy cause they always give you ips with wan ip in range!

I need to know how you set up draytek Vigor 2828 when ADSL Provider issues a wan not in the Range of the 5 requested ips!
:cry:

Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2009 00:08 #2 by galaxy60
Could you provide a little more information about what information they have given you?

What I have had on more than two sites recently with B.T using a range of static IP addresses is that the address specified for the router will work for short periods of times with third party routers then stop for no apparent reason and I have found using one of the other supplied addresses works like a treat without a problem. Howevery I can't replicate the same problem using the supplied B.T 2Wire routers.

www.cctv4all.com - setup guides for CCTV engineers

• shae1725
  • Topic Author
More
16 Aug 2009 21:47 #3 by shae1725
Setting up the 2wire supplied by bt buisness broadband can be setup by a monkey in 2mins flat! I would still be using them if they supported remote log in! :(

I Have 138 sites using bt broadband which will be getting new drayteks I think I should be able to sort these!

They are always eg: range wan 81.234.56.110 sub 255.255.255.248
Router Address: 81.234.56.116 giving ips 111 through 115
all I ever have to do is set up the 2 wire router with the wan address and subnet during setup and thats it!!!

The other 16 Site Providers give me eg: wan of 81.67.123.50 and a range
81.234.56.111 through 81.234.56.115

After using bt buisness broadband and bt 2wires for so long and being spoilt with their extreme ease of use I'm needing some help on setting up draytek routers!

Im guessing from what you have said that you would use one of the 5 statics for the router address!

Hope im making sense :?

More
16 Aug 2009 23:42 #4 by galaxy60
Hello,

Yes that is correct. B.T will always tell you they only support their routers so don't throw away the 2wire, keep it safe incase you get an issue with your ADSL line to prove to them its not your Draytek that is at fault.

After about one hour of talking to a brick wall the other day I eventual got transferred to a guy from B.T who knew what he was talking about and advised me to never use the fixed IP address for the router when using a third party router with a range of static IP addresses, use any of the others without any problems.

Try it and let me know, have fun!!

www.cctv4all.com - setup guides for CCTV engineers

• shae1725
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2009 20:27 #5 by shae1725
Got it sorted! works like a dream!! :D
Draytek was very easy to set up once i understood the terminology used!!

Only one prob! How come I can access the router remotely using any of my 5 static ips, seems a bit strange! any ideas?

Many thanks

More
05 Nov 2009 10:13 #6 by roboughton
I am wondering how to set this up i have the BT 5 IP can you help?

Moderators: Sami