DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

ARP Table

• liam_03_99
  • Topic Author
More
18 Aug 2009 16:49 #1 by liam_03_99
ARP Table was created by liam_03_99
How do I set a static ARP entry within the Draytek 2820N?

I have tried IP ARP ADD <IP> <MAC> <LAN> but this is not static and gets overwritten.

Kind Regards

Liam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2009 18:27 #2 by njh
Replied by njh on topic ARP Table
Have you looked at the Bind IP to MAC facility? This is what you use to always hand out the same IP to a specific PC.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• liam_03_99
  • Topic Author
More
19 Aug 2009 15:37 #3 by liam_03_99
Replied by liam_03_99 on topic ARP Table
Thanks NJH,

If you take a look here

ftp://ftp.draytek.pl/POMOC/Gotowe_przyklady/3300V/Firewall/Bind_IP-to-MAC%20.pdf

I'm not sure this is what we want to do, this basically secures the MAC to the IP for LAN access. Whereas we want to set a static ARP entry which cannot be altered?

We're running a Windows 2008 server in an NLB cluster (unicast). It works perfectly internally on the LAN, but when we try to ping the cluster IP from a WAN (2820 - 2820 VPN Lan to Lan) it may recieve 2 or 3 replies from approx 20.

I believe this is something to do with the ARP entries, when i clear the ARP cache from the router it starts to work for a while and then stops. A lot of people seem to have a packet forwarding issue with Windows Server 2008 but it’s definitely not this as I’ve tried running NLB using one NIC.

Thoughts?

More
19 Aug 2009 22:39 #4 by njh
Replied by njh on topic ARP Table
You are working way beyond my knowledge with NLB clusters. Looking at my routers it does not populate the ARP table. It just always allocates the same IP to a bound MAC address during the DHCP process. Then, as in your link, you can create rules round the bound IP's.

I had incorrectly guessed at why you wanted to access the ARP cache. :(

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• liam_03_99
  • Topic Author
More
25 Aug 2009 14:24 #5 by liam_03_99
Replied by liam_03_99 on topic ARP Table
Hmmm, I think I have found a bug / issue with Windows 2008 Server. I have just had my official copy of 2008 R2 come through and guess what.... it works fine with R2!!!

Liam :)

Moderators: Sami