DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

I think my 2820n maybe Toast !

• davegarratt
  • Topic Author
More
25 Aug 2009 08:25 #1 by davegarratt
I think my 2820n maybe Toast ! was created by davegarratt
Before I bin it I wonder if anyone can tell me if they have seen this. Last night the router started dropping wireless connections and when it appeared to recover I could get to the internet, but not to the router admin page. I reset it and as my son had been complaining about apparent wireless issues for a few days I decided to apply the latest firmware. I could not get the utility to connect (timeouts), but did manage to apply the .rst version using the web interface. It said it had completed successfully and gave me a ok button to reset the router which it did. However now it seems to go through an apparent startup sequence and then I get 8 of the 9 LED's light up (shape of a square with the centre light being the only one not lit). These lights stay on for a few seconds and then it appears to go through the reboot sequence again. My laptop cannot connect either wirelessly or via a direct cable connection. The windows network status says that there is no cable attached for all but about 2 seconds during each cycle. It tried the TFTP utility, but got a timeout again. I've not tried it without my firewall running yet, but I'm not hopeful. I don't know if the wireless problems were the initial signs of a hardware failure, or if I've just made a bad situation worse by messing up the firmware ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2009 09:51 #2 by trixster101
Replied by trixster101 on topic I think my 2820n maybe Toast !
Try a hard reset using the button on the device, this will reset the unit to its default ip's etc so remember to amend your connecting pc accordingly.

When my unit did this I ended up using the TFTP util through an old Win98 machine as Vista and XP would not work, and disable any firewalls before using the util.

From the lights that you describe though it would seem the unit is just behaving badly rather than having died so the reset may jolt it into action.

• davegarratt
  • Topic Author
More
26 Aug 2009 10:01 #3 by davegarratt
Replied by davegarratt on topic I think my 2820n maybe Toast !
I did try this last night and have got my router working again thanks. However I could only get my original 3.3.1.2_232201 version to update properly. The latest version was not happy at all. I tried downloading via IE8, FireFox and FTP and it always crashed the router on restart.

Moderators: Sami