DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Firmware file name is invalid

• adrianwolfson
  • Topic Author
More
29 Aug 2009 10:30 #1 by adrianwolfson
Firmware file name is invalid was created by adrianwolfson
i am so frustrated with upgrading the firmware, WHY can't draytek have a decent support page that tells you how to stop getting invalid name when trying to upgrade!
I have a vigor 2820 v 3.2.1 and i cannot upload the new firmware 3.3.2
i have tried safari, firefox and cyberduck but nothing works.
pleas please please can someone help
i am very unimpressed by the lack of support on this issues on drayteks site! :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2009 11:52 #2 by g6ifs
Replied by g6ifs on topic Firmware file name is invalid
Assuming you are using draytek.co.uk and you are trying to download 3.3.2.1 then I don't know what the problem is as I have just download and updated my 2820 with no issues, udated the 2820 using the internal update system.
Using IE8
Prhaps if you told us the EXACT procudure you are using and EXACTLY where is goes wrong someone might be able to help

More
29 Aug 2009 19:58 #3 by middling
Replied by middling on topic Firmware file name is invalid
The problem has been documented here many times. In fact someone seems to post about it every week.

Rename the **.all firmware to something simple like firm.all and then drag and drop it into your home directory. Then upload it using Firefox (although i use Safari to admin my 2820 for some reason it's never liked uploading new firmwares through it).

The bug is in the JavaScript on the router admin page and was fixed several revisions ago.

Alternatively, if you've only just bought your 2820, return your router as quickly as you can. It's been out nearly 2 years now and is still a buggy piece of junk. I've given up on them ever sorting out the bugs; they're clearly incompetent.

More
18 Jan 2010 19:04 #4 by ziltro
Replied by ziltro on topic Firmware file name is invalid
I've just had the same problem. I thought I should mention it here in case it is of help to someone else.
Looking at the javascript on the firmware upgrade page, it is using a regexp match to check the filename. The filename must begin with "v2820" and end ".rst" or ".all" (or ".web" in the old firmware). The problem is that in the older firmware the regexp begins with "\\\\", which means the filename must start with "\v2820"!
After a little while pondering how I could modify the script in my web browser's memory I realised another solution, rename the file. Obviously filenames can't have "\" in them under Windows, so I did the rename and upgrade on a Linux machine and it worked perfectly. I suspect this will work in MacOS too. If a GUI won't allow adding "\" to the start of the filename then a shell/console should.

This command works:
Code:
mv v2820_v333_232201_A.all \\v2820_v333_232201_A.all

Obviously with the correct filename for the firmware version you want.
Double backslashes required as they are used as the escape character.

Moderators: Sami