Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 With SDSL on WAN 2

• edispah
  • Topic Author
More
04 Sep 2009 12:26 #1 by edispah
2820 With SDSL on WAN 2 was created by edispah
Hi

Im in the process of getting a SDSL line installed.

I currently have an ADSL line with a vigor 2820 attached to it. My aim is to use the 2820 to provide failover and load balancing between the SDSL and ADSL.

Had a few emails with draytek support who advised the 2820 WAN2 should be able to connect to the Vigor 3100 (SDSL router) with the 3100 acting in some sort of bridge mode, which I imagine would mean the 2820 would control the authentication, so the WAN2 interface of the 2820 would get the SDSL WAN IP.

Has anyone any experience of this in the real world? Anything to watch out for?

It would seem to me the 3100 would be acting just as a simple bridge/modem in a similar way the vigor 110 or 120 would act on an adsl line so the 3100 would probably be overkill for the task.

An alternative im thinking of is connecting a cheaper Zyxel Prestige 791 in bridge mode to the WAN2 of the 2820 - I cant see why it would not work but again if anyone has any real experience of it I would be grateful.

So in summary my questions are

1. Do you think it will work!
2. 3100 or Zyxel?

Thanks

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• edispah
  • Topic Author
More
02 Oct 2009 10:37 #2 by edispah
Replied by edispah on topic 2820 With SDSL on WAN 2
Sorry to reply to my own post

Ended up going for a 2820 and a 3100

Ive got to configure it later today and was reading the manual and not 100% sure which way to go!

Im intending on connecting the wan2 port of the 2820 to the 3100 and on the 2820 WAN2 settings, configure a PPPoE connection with the SDSL login details, on the 3100 I can see there is a PPPoE Pass-through check box - im guessing I can just tick that and not type any login details in the 3100?

The actual connection to the ISP is via PPPoA though? Should I set the Protocol to PPPoA? I know when I do this with the 2820 and a vigor 100 the vigor 100 does some sort of auto PPPoE to PPPoA bridge? Will the 3100 do the same?

Can anyone offer any advice?

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami