Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n SMTP HTTPS how do you forward to WAN2

• blackcomputers
  • Topic Author
More
04 Sep 2009 14:08 #1 by blackcomputers
2820n SMTP HTTPS how do you forward to WAN2 was created by blackcomputers
Hi everyone,
have been at this for a week now, have read this forum and cant find an answer. the user manual is a f**king joke and i'm starting to think Draytek should rename to Gaytek.

i have the 2820n linked to a netgear router on WAN2. (wan2 set to DHCP from the netgear).
WAN1 is just ADSL

i want my DHCP clients to send there email over WAN2. (smtp server at isp's end i.e. external)
i would also like them to be able to access HTTPS sites (dont care which WAN it uses)

i have set up a policy in load balancing to use WAN2 but it don't work!
(load balancing is set to auto weigh)

ipaddress range 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254
start and end port 25 (smtp)
start and end port 443 (https)
use WAN2

but when i send email i get the port 25 is blocked, have turned of Kapersky on the clients PC and turned off the firewall on the 2820n, still nothing
am i doing something wrong? do i need to set the netgear router to bridged mode? should i consider a different manufacturer of router?

also when i plug in the cable into WAN2 i get slow down, someone did mention that i have to set the load balancing speeds as the WAN2 port is ethernet so it is running at 100mbs so it tries that port first.
Why The Frick is there no setup guide on this matter as it is pretty fricking important as people do tend to use Email clients like outlook express etc and people do like to go to HTTPS web sites. especiall business clients and this is supposed to be a fricking business router

starting to understand why one forum users said "thanks for all the fish" as these routers are a load of carp.

i really think there should be a section on this forum for these particular issues, Draytek should be ashamed of themselves.

Thanks in advanced.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2009 14:51 #2 by njh
Can you clarify, presumably the address range 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 is the source address range (why not just do the whole subnet?), and ports 25 and 445 are destination ports (and not source ports)?

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• blackcomputers
  • Topic Author
More
04 Sep 2009 20:32 #3 by blackcomputers
Replied by blackcomputers on topic 2820n SMTP HTTPS how do you forward to WAN2
of course the ip address range i specified is the source, what else would it be?
and what difference does it make if i use the whole subnet or just a range!

look thanks for the response but you really didn't need to ask those questions if you had read my initial post and wanted to help.

like i said i just want my local clients using OE (outlook express) to send email and to be able to access secure web sites by using just one of the WAN ports.

maybe i should rephrase, how do i bind SMTP to a particular WAN port for a range of internal clients?
i have not specified destination address as it shouldnt matter also it would mean i would have to specify every destination address that is HTTPS, a very unlikely scenario.

More
07 Sep 2009 09:03 #4 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic 2820n SMTP HTTPS how do you forward to WAN2
I have a 2950 but think this should be the same, The only thing that needs to bet setup is WAN -> Load Balance policy -> and create a new entry with the following:

Protocol: any
Binding WAN Interface: WAN1 or WAN2
Src IP Start, Src IP End: put your internal IP range here
Dest IP Start, Dest IP End: leave blank for all
Dest Port Start, Dest Port End: 443 for HTTPS

Create another similar rule for SMTP

Moderators: Sami