DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Restrict web feature: MIME Type

• mreastwood
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2009 03:58 #1 by mreastwood
Restrict web feature: MIME Type was created by mreastwood
My item for the wish list would be the ability to block MIME types on the web content filter.

Then we can block out FLV and other video formats that sites like youtube use :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2009 09:54 #2 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic Restrict web feature: MIME Type
Depending on your router model and firmware you can block multimedia content using the CSM filter and creating 'objects' that contain a list of types of sites e.g. on my 2950 in the streaming section I can allow/disallow the following:

MMS, RTSP, TVAnts, PPStream, PPlive, FeiDian, UUSee, NSPlayer, PCAST, TVKoo, SopCast, UDLiveX, TVUPlayer, MySee, Joost, FlashVideo, SilverLight, Slingbox, QVOD.

Youtube uses Flashvideo so dissalowing that allows users to browse Youtube but no videos will play.

Also in the CSM-->URL content page you can also allow/restrict:

Java, ActiveX, Compressed files, Executable files, Multimedia files,
Cookie, Proxy.

• mreastwood
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2009 10:06 #3 by mreastwood
Replied by mreastwood on topic Restrict web feature: MIME Type
Paul,

Thanks for replying. The built-in options are pretty extensive but there's still additional MIME types that I'd like to block. I've found that the 'flash video' doesn't truly block all forms of flash videos.

I assume that the majority of these services(such as 'flash video') are being blocked by running a transparent web proxy on the router and dropping those select requests. So the functionality is already there, it's just about adding additional control to the router admin/web interface.

More
14 Sep 2009 10:53 #4 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic Restrict web feature: MIME Type

MrEastwood wrote: Paul,

Thanks for replying. The built-in options are pretty extensive but there's still additional MIME types that I'd like to block.

Just out of interest (as I block most content where I work) what else would you like to block.

MrEastwood wrote: I've found that the 'flash video' doesn't truly block all forms of flash videos.

I've found the same but it still blocks most video sites and Youtube video is certainly blocked.

• mreastwood
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2009 11:58 #5 by mreastwood
Replied by mreastwood on topic Restrict web feature: MIME Type
Well it would basically be the additional audio/video mime types that this existing setting doesn't block :p

I just figure that since the functionality is already there, it wouldn't be a huge deal to let people define their own MIME types that they'd like blocked.

Do you happen to know if the draytek routers do indeed run a transparent web proxy to perform these blocks?

Cheers

Moderators: Sami