DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n with dual wan freeze when browsing.

• turbomike
  • Topic Author
More
22 Sep 2009 11:53 #1 by turbomike
hello I was excited to use my new router for dual wan, I get broadband from O2 11meg and I now have a second 11mb line from O2 as it only costs £9 per month, I have updated to the lasest firmware and setup the router to use builtin adsl2 modem and my other O2 router plugged into wan2, configured it to load balance, when i first use it i get around 2Mb / sec on newsgroups which is great, my problem is after 10mins or 30 mins or left overnight my 2820n router seems to stop working, I get the usual page not found or some sites work fine ebay etc.. and google wont, if I turn the router of and on it works fine for a bit then freezes again,i didnt setup anything fancy in the router just basic settings wan1 and wan2 etc.. if i disable wan2 the router works fine no freezes but i want to use both on loadbalancing which was the whole reason i got the 2820n router.

please can anyone help or suggest anything..

many thanks mike..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2009 13:51 #2 by damar
Replied by damar on topic Dual WAN Internet Access Problems
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. I have 2 ADSL connections from different providers. WAN1 BT connected to ADSL port on 2820 and WAN2 connected via ethernet to O2 router.

More
22 Sep 2009 16:44 #3 by dtvgroup
Replied by dtvgroup on topic 2820n with dual wan freeze when browsing.
Fellas, I feel your pain,

same thing - I replied to a post here

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13146

looks like you gotta sign up for open DNS and that should cure your problems. I think the problem is this

Wan1 uses wan2's DNS server to get the ip address for your wanted site, but wan1's IP address is not allowed to get DNS requests validated from WAN2's network,

For instance wan1 = o2, wan 2 = virgin, virgin dont want o2 customers using their DNS servers, so she (your nice new 2820) hangs, , you refresh, it (draytek) uses the correct DNS and off she goes.. sometimes hangs sometimes not,

your lucky in a way that its not effecting 30 users who cant get their cricket reports from bbc without this problem :)

thanks

Rob

• turbomike
  • Topic Author
More
22 Sep 2009 16:52 #4 by turbomike
Replied by turbomike on topic 2820n with dual wan freeze when browsing.
would this apply to me? as i use o2 for both connections i.e. loadbalance, this is starting to get annoying,

would you say this is a fault with the drytek firmware as i might return it, they do mention loadbalance from any connection on their website.

I do love the product as im looking to use the VPN and the USB FTP.

many thanks..

More
22 Sep 2009 16:58 #5 by dtvgroup
Replied by dtvgroup on topic 2820n with dual wan freeze when browsing.
hmm, , intersting, maybe something deeper than just a simple dns issue?

any draytek tech's out there shine some light?

try the open DNS thingy tho :) - worth a scooby snack if it works .. :)

also with the load balancing could it be that part of the traffic that you requested goes out on 1 and splits to another? so some packets are routed via a different connection? just thoughts....

More
23 Sep 2009 11:57 #6 by damar
Replied by damar on topic 2820n with dual wan freeze when browsing.
Adding open DNS entries to the WAN 2 Interface has resolved my problem.

Moderators: Sami