Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

USB Storage device on 2710Vn

• poppeye
  • Topic Author
More
22 Sep 2009 11:57 #1 by poppeye
USB Storage device on 2710Vn was created by poppeye
Hello,

I have bought a 2710Vn router partly because of what it says on your website draytek.com:

"You can attach USB storage device to USB port of Vigor2710Vn to share files. Or, you can use USB printer by connecting it to USB port."

However, attaching a USB Stick formatted with FAT32 doesn't work and there doesn't seem to be anything related to USB Storage in the admin menu nor in the manual.

Please illuminate me.
Cheers,
George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2009 07:41 #2 by gypsydog
Replied by gypsydog on topic Re: USB Storage device on 2710Vn

Poppeye wrote: Hello,

I have bought a 2710Vn router partly because of what it says on your website draytek.com:

"You can attach USB storage device to USB port of Vigor2710Vn to share files. Or, you can use USB printer by connecting it to USB port."

However, attaching a USB Stick formatted with FAT32 doesn't work and there doesn't seem to be anything related to USB Storage in the admin menu nor in the manual.

Please illuminate me.
Cheers,
George

I have a 2710n (same firmware as 2710Vn - 3.3.0) and came up against the same issue. I emailed support asking how to access USB function.
They emailed me a beta firmware - 3.3.2RC1a dated September 1st 2009 which I installed.
This gives a "USB Application" heading in the web interface menu.

Not attached any USB device yet but rest of router functions seem to work OK with this firmware.

Presumably, a final version wil be released soon and you could wait for that or you could email support for the RC1a version.

• poppeye
  • Topic Author
More
29 Sep 2009 11:43 #3 by poppeye
Replied by poppeye on topic USB Storage device on 2710Vn
Thanks for the heads up! I was thinking of using the Draytek as a kind of NAS but I read in another place that the only accepted file system on the USB port would be FAT32.

So, by the time I have copied the data from my HD, converted it to FAT32 and copied the data back the new firmware may as well be out :-)

Anyway, don't the Drayteks use a Linux Kernel? Wouldn't ext3 or even ext4 as a file system have been a more obvious choice?

More
30 Sep 2009 11:18 #4 by gypsydog
Replied by gypsydog on topic USB Storage device on 2710Vn
Maybe, but I would have thought that NTFS instead of FAT32 would make more sense if they're wanting to stay with the Windows platform

• poppeye
  • Topic Author
More
02 Oct 2009 11:45 #5 by poppeye
Replied by poppeye on topic USB Storage device on 2710Vn
As far as I understand:
Linux + NTFS = a bitch

Anyway, I tried that beta firmware and connected a USB Stick with 250MB Fat32. The router kept losing connectivity when trying to access files on the stick via FTP, so this seems to need a bit of additional work.

By the way, while FAT32 is theoretically possible for up to 2TB main partitions under Windows, it's not recommendable to use it for more than 8GB because of overhead. So it's bye-bye NAS unless Draytek decides to support another file system, IMHO.

Moderators: Sami