Vigor 2950

• pigglett
  • Topic Author
More
22 Sep 2009 18:57 #1 by pigglett
Vigor 2950 was created by pigglett
Hello

I ve been looking at purchaing the Vigor 2950 for its dual wan features

I was wondering how it would handle a virgin media 50mb and a BE 16mb connections

Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2009 20:13 #2 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Vigor 2950
It will cope fine with these two connections, although do note its not going to combine the two connections for the total speed, but it can be used for fail over or you can configure it to say have bittorrent down one and all surfing down the other and similar sorts of config.

• pigglett
  • Topic Author
More
23 Sep 2009 08:13 #3 by pigglett
Replied by pigglett on topic Vigor 2950
Thank you for the reply

Is there a Draytek product that will let me join the two connections for combined bandwidth ?

thanks

More
23 Sep 2009 09:05 #4 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic Vigor 2950

rolandrat wrote: It will cope fine with these two connections, although do note its not going to combine the two connections for the total speed,

Not strictly true, one user can max out WAN1 while another user could max out WAN2 at the same time but WAN rules (based on IP or port number) would have to be put into place for this to work. I do understand where your coming from with the above statement although.

Lots of people assume a dual WAN router can provide a 'Bonded' connection, it cant. A 'Bonded' connection is 2 WANs joined at the ISP end so you get the badwidth of 2 WANs but have only 1 external IP address attached to the two lines.

Also the 2950 has a maximum of 90Mb thoughput on the router acording to this http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison.html this is the theoretical maximum so may be reduced depending on the ammount of options and users configured in the router.

More
30 Sep 2009 14:16 #5 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Vigor 2950
Bonded, thats the word I was looking for :D
I knew what I meant!

Moderators: Sami