Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

dhcp LAN to LAN with server question

• lenny109
  • Topic Author
More
28 Sep 2009 16:31 #1 by lenny109
dhcp LAN to LAN with server question was created by lenny109
Hi,
two 2820n Routers in a LAn to LAN configuration with a SBS at one end and client computers the other. I should have the SBS as the DHCP server for all the computers but in the setup instructions for the VPN both offices have to be on different IP Ranges. If this is the case then how can I enable to SBS to control the DHCP to the client computers on the other LAN?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2009 13:08 #2 by johntankard
Replied by johntankard on topic dhcp LAN to LAN with server question
Hi Lenny,

I have a similar setup to this, on the ''other'' lan, set up the router with the New IP range, set up dhcp relay on the 2820 to forward to the SBS box's IP address.

On the SBS box set up a new DHCP scope to reflect the ''other lan'' ip range.

When a client tries to obtain a lease on the other lan it will hit the router, dhcp packets will be forwarded by dhcp relay to the sbs box and the dhcp scope will then assign the correct address based on which LAN it came from.

Hope this helps

John

More
03 Oct 2009 21:35 #3 by larrylloyd
Replied by larrylloyd on topic Two scopes for DHCP
Hi Lenny

This would give a high reliance on the WAN being available 100% of the time!
If the following is permitable.... try it.

1st site, use eg. DHCP scope of 192.168.0.10 (20 addresses) (or whatever is required)
2nd site use, 192.168.0.30-20 addresses..

This way, the router on site 2 will be issuing the addresses for that site, but still on the 'range' you select and also, it the link went down, they could still log in and at least have internet access!

Moderators: Sami