DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Suitability of 2820

• rwaggers
  • Topic Author
More
04 Oct 2009 19:38 #1 by rwaggers
Suitability of 2820 was created by rwaggers
We have a head office and a branch office.

Our telecomms company have supplied us with four 2820's. Two are for IP phone extensions from our PABX system and two are for Data traffic, used to connect to a terminal server.

The phones and data have separate ADSL connections between the two offices.

I've noticed that our IP phones (in the branch office) drops phone calls once or twice a day and our data transfer is much slower than it used to be when we used Netgear boxes (I've posted a seperate question regarding webcams).

Looking through this forum there appears to be an issue with the 2820's firmware (our boxes have 3.3.2.1 and 3.3.1.2_232201).

Does anyone have an opinion of the 2820's? Should we persevere with these boxes or move on to something else? We need a system that's extremely reliable and I'm wondering if the 2820 fits the bill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2009 19:59 #2 by supportlounge
Replied by supportlounge on topic Suitability of 2820
I used to think Drayteks were reliable, but given the lack of an adequate response to my thread about Exchange dropouts using 2820s, my advice would be "move along".

If it's business critical, then spend more money.

More
05 Oct 2009 15:16 #3 by larrylloyd
Replied by larrylloyd on topic The Draytek 2820 is NOT reliable
HI,
I've used the 2820 since it came out last year!
I've been praying that Draytek would hurry up and provide a reasonable firmware for it but sadly, it seems that they have a little dabble at a bit of code and then throw it out to their users, and wait for all the problems to rush in!
However, I assume that however many staff they have, they still can't cope with all the complaints!!!
I am VERY dissapointed with the 2820 (on paper, its brilliant) but in practice, its a let-down.
I'm glad I've still got some of my old 2800's.... they're fairly solid.

• rwaggers
  • Topic Author
More
05 Oct 2009 15:48 #4 by rwaggers
Replied by rwaggers on topic Suitability of 2820
Many thanks for the response. I've now removed the 2820's from the data lines and put our old Netgear's back on - the Data flow is now flying.

More
05 Oct 2009 16:00 #5 by flob
Replied by flob on topic Suitability of 2820
I have many 2600s 2800s and one 2820n
The 2820n was supposed to be the dog's with it's hardware VPN but all I get is a random drop of the ADSL link.

I can see in the connection settings that the router itself has been up for weeks but often the adsl ppp has only been up for a few minutes following a droput.

I have been hassling the ISP over bad line issues and I thought it was them but now I am beginning to think it is the router.

The main problem is we have 8home offices terminating on the 2820n and when it drops out and redials it can take up to 20mins for the far end to notice and dial the vpn back in. If I drop and dial a far end it returns almost immediately.

One thing I am going to test this week is putting a mains filter on the power supply to see if mains noise/spikes are upsetting the ATM timing, it's a long shot but I have tried everything else.
The reason I am going to try this is that I have a UPS in my home office and occasionally I hear the UPS click as the amber light comes on to "Condition" the mains if it gets too high etc. at the point this click is heard, my link drops out and reconnects, I want to see if maybe this is happening at the 2820n end as this "glitch" may be causing the interface to spike??

Anyway this router is doing my head in now and I am reluctant to buy another to see the same problem.

Regards
Lawrence

More
06 Oct 2009 12:07 #6 by flob
Replied by flob on topic Suitability of 2820
Further to my last;

There are 2 2820s in the rack next to mine beloning to a collegue of ours, he has looked at his and 1 has had no drops in the last 4 months and the other for a lot more than mine.

Both his ADSLs and mine come in on the same bearer.

But the most significant thing is that both his routers are on the 3.3.0 original firmware and I have upgraded mine.

So either I have a problem with the copper pair between my router and the PSTN at the exchange or it is an issue with the ADSL firmware.

Others may be experience these dropouts but will not notiice unless they have a number of permanenet tunnels that they see drop.

Cheers
Flob

Moderators: Sami