DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Mac OS X strangeness with 2820n

• doctor-frog
  • Topic Author
More
06 Oct 2009 23:46 #1 by doctor-frog
Mac OS X strangeness with 2820n was created by doctor-frog
Hi, folks. I've just got a 2820n ... it's a bit of a beast for my home network. However, I broadcast internet radio 24/7, so I needed something more stable than my flakey, ageing USR9108. I've got the 2820n all up and running; however, I've noticed a few odd things ... and I'll admit, I'm pretty flummoxed about all the zillions of settings.

Oddest thing: using the out-of-the-box firmware 3.3.2.2_232201, I type in http://192.168.1.1/, enter the admin credentials, the page tries to load up, and I find that half the frames won't load: either the logo graphics won't show, or the navigation bar doesn't load, or the status frame won't load. Thankfully, it's never the same frames two times in a row, so if I hit re-load enough times I'll eventually get the navigation bar to load and be able to administer my router. But I'd hate to carry on like this for too long.

I've tried two different Macs on the network and I've observed this behaviour on both boxes, in both Safari and Firefox. The same problem does not seem to occur on the one Vista box I hav. Interestingly, it also doesn't seem to be a regular occurrence in iPhone Safari (although it did seem to happen once).

Equally interesting: when I set up the router, I was using a Mac that's off the network. (I wanted to get it set up for a rapid switch with the old router, so as to reduce the radio stream's down time.) On *that* Mac, none of these problems occurred. They only started happening, when I put the router onto a live network. Strange.

Next odd thing: my ADSL sync speed has dropped from around 5mb (about the max I could expect where I live) to about 1mb. No idea why, but I'm wondering if I can tweak some settings somewhere.

Beyond that, I have a number of questions about various small settings:

Basically, I'm running an ADSL line in, no 2nd WAN. Nothing fancy. About 3 computers on the network, 1 VOIP adapter, an Apple Airport to extend wifi access (via powerline cables), and a couple of iPhones that access via wifi.

I don't really know what Multi-PVCs do. Do I need them enabled at all?

QoS - I think I've disabled that. This will be less taxing on my system, right? I don't really have a need for it.

WMM - what is it? Why is it enabled?

TR-069 - same again.

Sorry to sound like such a novice, but I guess at this level, I am! :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• doctor-frog
  • Topic Author
More
07 Oct 2009 10:34 #2 by doctor-frog
Replied by doctor-frog on topic Mac OS X strangeness with 2820n
Also ... last question (for now!).

I'm not running any kind of VPN, as far as I know. Presumably this means I can disable the settings that say ...

Enable PPTP VPN Service
Enable IPSec VPN Service
Enable L2TP VPN Service

Yes?

More
14 Oct 2009 18:29 #3 by alan.hancock
Replied by alan.hancock on topic Mac OS X strangeness with 2820n
HI - i have similar setup, but use Cable not ADSL. Trying to remember ALL your points:

- Multi PVCs - if you are already running on ADSL, then you are all set and leave the config alone.
- TR-069 - i think this is for telecom service providers to automatically configure your system after they've sent you the draytek router. Irrelevant to you: leave it alone.
- QoS - again, wont do anything much for you at this early stage - leave it alone until such time as you NEED to prioritise your 'radio' traffic, and that is NOT tomorrow.
- WMM - no idea
- Sync speed: suggest you check with your ISP what the preferred settings are for your ADSL wan circuit- you will be using one (only) of the 'Multi PVCs' rows to define this, and the magic numbers there are the ones your ISP provides. Probably if its already working, then you have the 'correct' ones, but if you check then it'll give you some assurance. The attributes you are looking for are the column names in the MultiPVCs table. If your ISP already sent you a 'modem' to connect with, and you are intending on replacing it with your new router, then the settings you need will probably be already inside your legacy modem and you could do worse than try loggin directly into THAT, temporarily, in order to observer (not change) the settings it has.).
VPN settings: leave alone, and keep disabled. You may one day find the 'Teleworker VPN' setting useful one day eg so that you can use a 'PPTP VPN client' to allow you to connect to your netowork from a cyber cafe (etc) to pick up a file or nudge a music server into playing nicely. If you do so-connect, then your 'session' will logically be an additional computer on your home network (eg 192.168..x.xxx) and therefore your firewalls should behave as if you actually were back at home.

- Flaky menu frames: i get that a lot: the drayteks dont give good frames to mac firefox/safari in my experience. occasionally draytek do issue firmware updates which allegedly improve things, but think of the 2820 as a work in progress wrt firmware, and like me you'll just have to keep hitting that refresh button. I'm also affected by a 'memory leak' which means that sometimes the webserver on the router just can be bothered to draw the screen on my browser at all, or I have to restart the browser. Ideally, your router should become 'transparent' eventually, and you wont need to log onto it as much as you do now. A quick reboot of the router can also make the browser interface play nice (not such a problem for home users). At the end of the day, its a router/modem, and not a webserver- i know it SHOULD work, but clearly someone from draytek products has never bothered to use their own GUI in the same way as ordinary users might want to. I can only assume that they're kept busy adding new features rather than stabilising the ones they implemented previously... ultimately technology products are specified by Marketing Directors, not users.

More
17 Oct 2009 12:56 #4 by peterdgreenway
Replied by peterdgreenway on topic Problems With User Interface On Mac OSX With Safari
I have exactly the same problem as reported, ie. the user interface is totally useless and not fit for purpose using Safari. Firefox is okay.

I think it is an absolutely crass and disgraceful statement to say that it should not work, these days all comms equipments should work on all browsers not just a selected few. Yes we can all telnet into the router and hack around with the CLI, who wants to do that - following that logic we can all start programming again in assembler !

Pull your finger out Draytek and spend sometime and get it rendering properly under Safari. Its not acceptable esp. for a premium product.

More
22 Oct 2009 16:35 #5 by busta999
Replied by busta999 on topic Mac OS X strangeness with 2820n
Yup same problem

I have to use Firefox or a PC to access the Draytek 2820

More
22 Oct 2009 20:35 #6 by nrb501
Replied by nrb501 on topic Mac OS X strangeness with 2820n
The 3.3.3 beta posted on the website cures the frame drawing issues in OSX and Linux.

Moderators: Sami