DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820N Email notification when WAN connection is down

• solarsystems
  • Topic Author
More
12 Oct 2009 21:51 #1 by solarsystems
Is there a way to get the 2820 to send an email to you when a wan connection goes down via the backup connection? Be nice to know if it was running backup connection on couple of my sites.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2009 18:01 #2 by alan.hancock
Replied by alan.hancock on topic 2820N Email notification when WAN connection is down
As a starter for 10, i'd suggest you look at the SysLog options available to you under SystemMaintenance menu. On my 2820 you can elect to receive either mail or 'syslog' notifications. The mail option might not throw an exception when you switch to the alternative route; if it doesn't, then probably time for you to 'wiki' for 'syslog' and read up about what programs you could use to 'listen' to the syslog events that your router could send to it. Once your third party program is receiving events, do a test to simulated the scenario and see what notifications you receive ... it is up to you how you choose to handle THE event for the situation you want to handle, eg you could set off your sprinkler system, send a text to a pager, launch a weapon, or send yourself an email etc.

My instinct tells me that you are likely to find a solution via the above 'Syslog' method, via either its 'WAN log' or 'DSL/Router Infocmation' log options. NB if you dont intend using Syslog after playing, i'd strongly advise you to turn it off, as some Syslogs will bring a system to a halt if they go 'unread'.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami