DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Settings in FAQ aren't being accepted (new 2820)

• stilez
  • Topic Author
More
20 Oct 2009 00:36 #1 by stilez
Refering to this FAQ: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_2ndsubnet.html ,

When I try to set up this exact configuration, Windows XP won't let me. It says that "the static IP that was just configured is already in use on the network" and asks me to configure another. Windows XP doesn't want to let me give a public IP to this PC, like the FAQ says it can. I can't figure what's wrong.

(I want to avoid DMZ because apparently DMZ closes but doesn't properly stealth ports. Also I might be using the 2820 in a larger environment some time, where I need to be able to set some PCs as NAT and quite a few as having a public IP only, so I need to figure this issue out anyway.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2009 08:42 #2 by rothers
You haven't set the routers 2nd IP address and your PC IP address to be the same have you ?

• stilez
  • Topic Author
More
20 Oct 2009 09:28 #3 by stilez

rothers wrote: You haven't set the routers 2nd IP address and your PC IP address to be the same have you ?

No. The router's public IP is .16 and the computer's public IP is .18.

Apparently disconnecting the PC and router, then changing IP, then reconnecting, seems to avoid the error message I posted, and lets me set the public IP and router's public IP in the computer's TCP/IP properties.

But when I do, I still don't have connectivity (no unusual filters defined).

Moderators: Sami