DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Safely create a proposed public wireless access area

• paul_hood
  • Topic Author
More
21 Oct 2009 15:52 #1 by paul_hood
Hi All,

I currently have a secure private network all cabled as shown in green below.
I have been asked to introduce a ‘public’ network for our meeting room that is totally separate from our own network that we can let our sales reps on to with a known wireless key as shown in red below.
howerver this network must not see our private network!

Is there any way I can a install a new wireless access point e.g. DrayTek AP-700 and secure it on one of our spare public IP Address? Keeping the purchase of routers and access points to a minimum.

Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2009 11:18 #2 by snowflake
Replied by snowflake on topic Help - perhaps..........
Hi,

I have a 2110n cable router, pretty much their entry level product....

This has the facility to have up to 3 ssids, and each of those can have wep\wpa security.

So I have one set up for my use, one for the games console and another for my mates brother who leeches bandwidth from outside the house when he is my neck of the woods on business.

Each of these has the following secutiry options........

1) Isolate memner - which means wireless clients on the same SSID cannot access each other

2) Isolate lan - wireless clients cannot access wired PCs on the lan.

Therefore assuming the AP 700 has the facility you set up an SSID for your sales folks and choose all the isolation options.........meaning they can't access each other or the wired lan

I haven't been able to find a manual for the AP you mention, so no idea if the above flexibility transfers to AP's, however it would seem odd not to provide the facility, if you see what I mean

Cheers

James

• paul_hood
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2009 11:36 #3 by paul_hood
Was almost there! (using the DrayTek Vigor 2820n as the main wireless and the AP-700 as a repeater)

Created a second SSID of "ConfRoom"
Set Security WPA/WPA2
Isolate Member - Ticked
Isolate the station from LAN - Ticked
If my memory serves me correct the Isolate LAN would not push through DHCP from a server on the LAN :(

Moderators: Sami