DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2820 error message "The SMTP Server is error !!

• busta999
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2009 18:11 #1 by busta999
Anyone know how to get the Draytek 2820 to send an email on DOS attack?

The settings are therein SysMaintenance/Syslog/Mail Alert.

But when I fill it in with my SMTP server address and Auth details or the Gmail SMTP server it just comes back with "The SMTP Server is error !! "

Now I am happily sending emails through these severs with the same credentials.

Any one got any insight into "The SMTP Server is error !! "

Or anyone had success at getting this to work?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2009 00:15 #2 by macavity
I might be wrong, but I think the SMTP server needs to be entered as an IP rather than hostname.

• busta999
  • Topic Author
More
30 Oct 2009 22:25 #3 by busta999
Ahhha

I will try that thanks.

Someone needs to come up with a way you can abstract an IP address from it function, some kind of universal naming convention maybe that would be more, well, human like.

Until that day comes we are all forced to type http://209.85.227.147:80 to get to Google. Never mind I am sure some clever person will work something out.

:-)

Mike

More
05 Jan 2010 16:32 #4 by sonynair
did you get it working?

i've tried the ip resolved from dns (mail.gmx.com).

however, not getting any alerts through email as yet?

More
16 Jan 2010 16:14 #5 by tgold
I agree that entering a server address by host name gives that gibberish error message and that the setting can not be saved, while entering a numerical address is accepted and can be saved. Of course that makes no sense because the router's time setting client allows host names, so the router clearly does have a working DNS resolver.

And again, I also found that even with a numerical address for the SMTP server, no test message ever succeeds.

The email client is a bug infested abortion, with no logging or diagnostics, no ability to set TCP/IP port number to evade ISP blocking and no SSL. And those on top of the fact that it is broken and simply does not work!

Maybe I'll tell you what I really think - but then the moderator would rightly expel me from the forums for my use of foul language.

Tony

Moderators: Sami