Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

URL Content filter

• darrensen
  • Topic Author
More
28 Oct 2009 11:01 #1 by darrensen
URL Content filter was created by darrensen
Draytek Community,

We are trailing using the content filter on the Draytek 2820 to block sites such as Facebook, Myspace etc...

Works a treat, however with one hiccup.

Someone is trying to access "abebooks" and that's being blocked.

Is there a way to get around this. It would appear that you can only White or Black list the lot in the content filter.

Is there a way around this problem?

Thanks all

Darren

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• darrensen
  • Topic Author
More
28 Oct 2009 13:01 #2 by darrensen
Replied by darrensen on topic URL Content filter
Fixed.....

We were blocking bebo as well.

More
10 Feb 2010 15:38 #3 by prefuse
Replied by prefuse on topic URL Content filter

Darrensen wrote: Fixed.....

We were blocking bebo as well.

How did you fix it?

I had a simlar issue with the national lottery being blocked by gambling on content filter. I got around it by adding a filter for a particular IP address and making another content filter without the gambling ticked so that person can access the lottery.

I tried using url filtering by making an object with keyword lottery and activating that but it just stopped everything working at all... The firewall is good but hard work at times...

:?

More
12 Feb 2010 21:52 #4 by middling
Replied by middling on topic URL Content filter

prefuse wrote:
I had a simlar issue with the national lottery being blocked by gambling on content filter. I got around it by adding a filter for a particular IP address and making another content filter without the gambling ticked so that person can access the lottery.

The way you did it is the only method of doing want you want.

As for the OP, i imagine he switched from using "bebo" to "bebo.com" as the keyword for filtering. The filter will match anything containing the keyword so it's best to use a full URL else you will block unrelated sites too.

More
13 Feb 2010 10:54 #5 by nickbooth
Replied by nickbooth on topic URL Content filter
Paul - i also wanted to block all gambling but i wanted to specifically allow the National Lottery.

In Objects settings / Keyword objects add as many words as you want to allow, e/g. national-lottery.co.uk and any others you want to let through. Then go to Objects settings/ Keyword groups and set up a new group e.g. "White list" then add all the sites you want to pass through to that white list.

In CSM / Web Content Filter go to your main filter and in the section at the bottom of the page select Block and tick everything you want to block including gambling.

Towards the top of that page tick black / white list enable and select Pass from the drop down. Then click Edit under Group / Objects selection and choose the "White list" group you created above.

That should then apply the general block on gambling but let anyone use the National Lottery

nick

Moderators: Sami