DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Which Draytek router to buy?

• relman
  • Topic Author
More
28 Oct 2009 17:52 #1 by relman
Which Draytek router to buy? was created by relman
I have two 50mbit cable modem connections from VirginMedia (totally legit on two seperate accounts). I want to get a Dual WAN router and looking at the draytek range even the lower end do the features I want however I need one which can handle the through put of 100mbit.

I want to configure it to allow for total bandwidth increase rather then load balancing as much although I know both can help increase.

I also need to be able to set rules to make certain destination IPs go over certain WAN ports due to application access which requires all traffic from a single IP.

I have looked at the Vigor 2950 but this only states it can handle 90Mb/sec.

Have anyone got any experience with this and can help advise me.

thanks in adanvce.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2009 10:40 #2 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic Re: Which Draytek router to buy?

Relman wrote: I want to configure it to allow for total bandwidth increase rather then load balancing as much although I know both can help increase.

You do know that 2 X 50MB lines through a router is not the same as a 'bonded' service and depending on what your downloading you wont get more than 50mb on a single PC.

What program will you be using that you think can utilise 2 X 50MB connections?

More
30 Oct 2009 16:01 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Which Draytek router to buy?

paulj48 wrote: What program will you be using that you think can utilise 2 X 50MB connections?

Software used for pirate video/audio/software download will commonly use multiple streams from different locations, so will be spread across both. Of course such software CAN be used for legal/legitimate purposes, which is the excuse that pirates use to legitmise its use.

(I'm not saying this of Relman; I've no idea what his application is).

Forum Administrator

More
02 Nov 2009 14:49 #4 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic Re: Which Draytek router to buy?

admin wrote:

paulj48 wrote: What program will you be using that you think can utilise 2 X 50MB connections?

Software used for pirate video/audio/software download will commonly use multiple streams from different locations, so will be spread across both. Of course such software CAN be used for legal/legitimate purposes, which is the excuse that pirates use to legitmise its use.

(I'm not saying this of Relman; I've no idea what his application is).

Well some usenet clients can combine multiple 'streams' as you put it but most if not all newsgroup provider will not allow connections from multiple IP's at the same time, unless of course you buy more than one premium account.

Not sure if P2P software will use multiple 'streams' thats why I asked the OP what software he was using.

• relman
  • Topic Author
More
02 Nov 2009 15:16 #5 by relman
Replied by relman on topic Which Draytek router to buy?
Well I've been reading up and there is talk of "total bandwidth increase" which seems to say it is different from normal load balancing. I have the two 50mbit connections and want to make use of both if it is of a benifit. My understanding is that things like websites loading would be faster, any software which makes more then one connection to load. Such download managers which makes more then one connection.

If I am wrong can someone explain the difference between load balance and total bandwidth increase. As I am led to believe one just balances connections from PCs over the 2 connections where as the total bandwidth increase will try to use both connections to make your web access act as if it were for example 100mbit.

More
02 Nov 2009 17:10 #6 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic Which Draytek router to buy?
Relman you are not going to see a speed increase loading websites from 50mb to 100mb unless your on a network with 100's of computers all trying to browse at the same time.

A 50mb connection should open a webpage almost instantly, if its not then either your DNS is slow or the website your viewing is slow.

When you open a web browser a 'session' is created using one of your broadband connections, if you start downloading through this browser the maximum speed will only be 50mb.

If you do the above in another program at the same time you may then get to download from the other 50mb connection simaltaniously

What you require if you want a total download of 100mb is a 'bonded' connection, this is done at the ISP end and is normally quite expensive.

By using your 2 connections you will also experience problems with secure https sites and forums as your external IP will change mid session and kick you out of the site, you can get around this by creating a rule in the router to send all secure traffic through one of your connections but again you'll then be only using half of what your paying for.

Moderators: Sami