DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using a 2700G as an Access Point and Router with a 2800G

• elijah
  • Topic Author
More
28 Oct 2009 20:53 #1 by elijah
I have been using my 2800G as a modem/router for some time now but have experienced frequent drop-outs of service. The 2800 is about 30m from the BT socket and, although I have done all I can to reduce interference, I still lose my connection with monotonous irregularity.

So, I have decided to move the 2800 up close to the BT socket. Good move, except I have a number of PCs and other devices variously connected by wired and wireless LAN at the other end of the building. I have come by a new 2700G which I want to use as a downstream router/wireless access point fed by Ethernet from the 2800 acting as the modem/router/wireless access point at this end of the building.

I need advice on the configuration changes I need to make on each router to make the whole caboodle work. For example, both devices have a default IP address of 192.168.1.1, which ain't gonna work, so can I 'force' the downstream router to an address of, say, 192.168.1.3/4?

Sorry if this a bit of a raw prawn query, but someone could save me a lot of frustration. I can't help but think this must be a regular type of configuration. :oops:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2009 21:51 #2 by lorian
You cannot use the 2700 as a router, you would only be able to use it as a switch and an access point. It's routing and firewall capabilites don't work across the switch ports.

• elijah
  • Topic Author
More
13 Nov 2009 18:11 #3 by elijah
Thanks, Lorian, for your response. It may not have been the answer I wanted, but it was the answer I needed to avoid a load of frustration.

Moderators: Sami