DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Using BT 5 IP ADSL set up question

• roboughton
  • Topic Author
More
05 Nov 2009 09:30 #1 by roboughton
2820 Using BT 5 IP ADSL set up question was created by roboughton
Hi, I need help setting up a BT 5 IP configeration can it even be done on a 2820?

heres the deal to use BT business broadband and 5 IPS they provide you with a router/modem I dont want to use that altough i could via the WAN2 port which is how i have it working now but thats not what i want.

This is how BT say it needs to be set up

You've ordered a range of Static IP addresses, which contains 8 addresses from 217.40.200.73 to 217.40.200.77. Three of these are reserved:
• network address: 217.40.200.72
• router/Hub address: 217.40.200.78
• subnet mask address if you have 5 Static IP addresses: 255.255.255.248
• subnet mask address if you have 13 Static IP addresses: 255.255.255.240

You are also given a user name and password to make your connection to BT e.g xxx@hg11.btconect.com pass = blablabla

** I have changed the IPs fro the purpose of this post.

Any one have an idea how i can set it up via WAN1 on the 2820

I can see you can add extra IPs to the one being given by BT but unless you add the above details in for IOP and subnet BT issues you with a dynamic IP, now I have managed to make it a static IP from my range above but as there is no where to add the subnet (unless you know where) i was unable to use the other IPs as the BT side couldnt pass them on to me.

hope that makes sense

All help is appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2009 11:43 #2 by bchris999
Replied by bchris999 on topic 2820 Using BT 5 IP ADSL set up question
Hi,

On the WAN1 settings, let the router obtain a dynamic IP, and put the static IPs you have been assigned under the WAN IP Alias option.

This should allow you to NAT any of the IPs. Alternatvily, you could put your static range on the 2nd range for routing on the LAN setup (Assign the 2nd range the router address .78 and the .248 mask). This would allow you to push the remaining IPs so they are assignable to devices directly.

• roboughton
  • Topic Author
More
05 Nov 2009 11:57 #3 by roboughton
Replied by roboughton on topic 2820 Using BT 5 IP ADSL set up question
Thanks I will give it a go when i get to the office at lunch time and let you know how i get on

More
21 Dec 2009 13:14 #4 by hughwi
Replied by hughwi on topic 2820 Using BT 5 IP ADSL set up question
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you had got any further with this?

I am in almost the same boat, except I want to assing the office in general a static IP (I am assuming using the IP that is assigned to the router is acceptable?) so that using SFTP with several hosting providers on a single IP is ALOT less of a hassle.

I also want to be able to provide several machines with static external IP's for VOIP and web server duties.

I understand what Chris is saying, but cannot seem to get it to work. This is how I currently have it setup:

WAN >> Internet Access
IP Address From ISP: Fixed (as roboughton mentions, this maybe where I am asking for the impossible, as there is no way to add the alternative 248 subnet mask) with the alternative IP's set as WAN Aliases.

I have also tried using "LAN >> General Setup" and "For IP Routing Usage" enabled for the 2nd set of IP addresses, but just cannot get it to work!

Is this theoretically correct, and therefore must be something I am setting wrong on the local machines? (I am setting these as the external IP addresses, with the 248 subnet and the gateway as the 2nd IP address specified)

More
21 Dec 2009 13:37 #5 by sdick
Replied by sdick on topic 2820 Using BT 5 IP ADSL set up question
There is no way to set the IP Address of the router to static with the way BT do things. Even on their own routers it always gets a dynamic ip address. As long as you set the IP addresses in the WAN1 IP Alias screen you can then use those IP addresses in the NAT sections to forward traffic to the relevent servers.

Make sure you do not tick "Join IP NAT pool" or you won't be able to use the ip addresses for NAT. You can also ignore the 2nd IP range this way.

• roboughton
  • Topic Author
More
21 Dec 2009 15:11 #6 by roboughton
Replied by roboughton on topic 2820 Using BT 5 IP ADSL set up question

sdick wrote: There is no way to set the IP Address of the router to static with the way BT do things. Even on their own routers it always gets a dynamic ip address. As long as you set the IP addresses in the WAN1 IP Alias screen you can then use those IP addresses in the NAT sections to forward traffic to the relevent servers.

Make sure you do not tick "Join IP NAT pool" or you won't be able to use the ip addresses for NAT. You can also ignore the 2nd IP range this way.

My router has a static address and i defined it in the WAN1 config it works for me. I can conect to the router manamgent via it etc.

hughuwi, i didnt use that way of setting it up, i just added the addresses in the config for WAN1

WAN>Internet Access> WAN1 and added WAN IP aliases in here.

then go to NAT>DMZ host and apply a public IP to one that is private. (Dont forget to add rules to the firewall as anything on the DMZ is open and not protected via NAT)

Moderators: Sami