Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2950 and incoming email

• deathlok
  • Topic Author
More
09 Nov 2009 17:12 #1 by deathlok
2950 and incoming email was created by deathlok
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here so please excuse any Faux Pas!

I am trying to set up some Internet resiliency for one of my customers. They already have an SDSL and an ADSL connection.
What I want to do is get a Vigor 2950 and a Vigor 120 (for the ADSL) then use the existing Zyxel 792HG on the SDSL, connecting both WAN ports, bridging the external IPs to the 2950 and away we go.

However, I am a bit unclear about incoming emails. The client runs an Exchange server inside the network.
So will I have to have two MX records on their domain with a low priority MX to the SDSL and a higher one to the ADSL, this way ensuring if the primary link goes down, they will (albeit more slowly) continue to receive emails?
I assume that as long as I port forward SMTP from the 2950 to the correct internal IP address, the server won't care from which external IP it originated from.

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2009 15:51 #2 by iain
Replied by iain on topic 2950 and incoming email
I reckon this should work yes. Just remember that when you setup your MX records, the lower value in DNS is actually a higher priority so in the case of:

domain.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail1.domain.com
domain.com MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = mail2.domain.com

an SMTP server sending mail to domain.com would first attempt to connect to mail1.domain.com and then mail2.domain.com if the connection to the first server failed.

Hope this helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami