DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Help DrayTek Vigor2800VG with My Book World 1TB Blue Rings

• awoodman
  • Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2009 12:41 #1 by awoodman
Hello
I wonder if someone can help me configure the above please. Don't assume a level of knowledge because having read FAQ's on the net I am beginning to think I am a bit dim!

My setup is as follows:
Small home network running on the above but can't access My Book reliably. Backup starts but always times out in 20-30 minutes with an access denied numerical error. Always copies some files and data though so I know I can write to it. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition & can see the My Book, create files and directories on it in the public directory. I have tried connecting the My Book directly to my computers Ethernet Port - It doesn't time out then and behaves normally so this suggests that I need to configure it with my router. However I can access the admin account on my router but that is the limit of my knowledge!
One last thing; I have followed one of the FAQ's on the Western Digital web site which mentions accessing the shared storage manager on the drive by http:\\WDStorage. That doesn't work. Does that mean it's a firewall problem?

Thanks in eager anticipation!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2009 12:56 #2 by iain
I don't think there is anything to configure on the router as these are both LAN devices so it shouldn't be going anywhere near the routers firewall.

I have a Draytek 2820, the My Book World 1TB drive with the white LED and use a small 5 port gigabit switch between my Windows 7 PC, NAS and router to ensure I get maximum speed with no issues. I would suggest getting hold of a similar device and retesting in this way to eliminate your router.

Hope this helps.

• awoodman
  • Topic Author
More
12 Nov 2009 07:48 #3 by awoodman
Replied by awoodman on topic Update!
Thanks for the advice Iain.

I have spent a lot of time on this and need to make some corrections to my original post.

It DOES time out when connected directly to a computers Ethernet port.
I have now been able to access the Shared Storage Manager and have set up a non Mionet share. Still no joy though!
Anyway plenty of time on the phone to WD's technical people and I have ordered a replacement. They discribed the whole model range as 'temperamental' which I will remember next time I choose NOT to buy a WD product.
However I am not optimistic because google suggests that I am not the only person with this problem and it may be something to do with unix of all things. But it will be nice to have another one to see if they act the same way.

Moderators: Sami