DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Blocking facebook.com on 2820n new firmware

More
19 Nov 2009 09:47 #7 by admin
Yes, you have to block by IP address(s)/subnets as HTTPS encrypts the URL.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2009 11:39 #8 by neilwright
Replied by neilwright on topic Block facebook but allow for 1hr a day??
Ok thats great thanks, but what if i want to allow access to facebook during lunch hours? Can i set up a schedule? I can see the schedule option in applications but i cant get it to work.

I want to block certain sites during work hours but allow them for 1 hr at lunch.

Any tips would be much appreciated!!

More
20 Nov 2009 06:58 #9 by middling
Replied by middling on topic Blocking facebook.com on 2820n new firmware
You can set up a schedule to allow access during lunch but it's not a good idea with a Draytek router.

The firewall doesn't work properly (doesn't block established connections) so anyone who logs on during the unblocked period will be able to continue to use the site even after the block has been scheduled to come back in force.

How long they will be able to continue to use the site depends on how the features work (i don't use Facebook so don't know about that), but it's something to be aware of if you're going to allow access to sites/services on a scheduled basis, especially if you're going to allow IM clients (MSN/WLM can be used for about 45 minutes after blocking, Yahoo Messenger can be used for several hours!).

This is a serious security flaw and makes Draytek a joke for any kind of business use but thus far Draytek have shown no interest in fixing it.

More
20 Nov 2009 09:09 #10 by neilwright
Replied by neilwright on topic Blocking facebook.com on 2820n new firmware
OK i will bear that in mind, many thanks for the info!

Moderators: Sami