Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Firmware update failed on 2820n

More
14 Nov 2009 13:57 #1 by ant
Firmware update failed on 2820n was created by ant
Hello peeps,

I need help.

I have exactly the same problem as this post:

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=11978&sid=d245422cc01591f5ddab23bf87b98184

Basically i have a 2820n, it was shipped with 3.3.2.1 firmware and i tried to update it to 3.3 using the .all file. I waited 30 mins and it hadn't finished so I cancelled it. My bad :cry:

Since then its booting into TFTP mode (i think), the 1st column of lights are constantly flashing. I've tried re flashing using the firmware update tool and the TFTP client with both the .all and .rst files. Tried both of the above versions of the firmware too. Both methods fail with a timeout error.

I'm not sure what else to try?

Thanks,
Ant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2009 17:24 #2 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Firmware update failed on 2820n
If you're getting a timeout then it probably means that the upgrade utility wasn't able to contact the router.

Check the following

1. Put PC on a static IP in the 192.168.1.x range ie 192.168.1.3 / 255.255.255.0

2. In the upgrade utility manually type in 192.168.1.1 rather than trying the search option

3. Select the .rst file type

4. Disable firewall (and possibly anti-virus) software

5. Before clicking send, put the router into FTFP mode manually (Even if it appears to be booting into FTP mode, it's a good idea to put it into it manually). To do this, turn the router on while holding the reset button down. The first 3 LEDs will flahs. Manual TFTP mode like this lasts about 20-30 seconds, so the upgrade needs to be sent before it exits TFTP mode.

6. Double check that your firmware file isn't corrupted. I've come across problems due to transferring it onto a USB stick and the file getting corrupted. So if you're downloading from a different location, transfer it while the file is still zipped. Then unzip afterwards.

7. When using the firmware upgrade utility, perform the upgrade via a wired connection.

More
14 Nov 2009 17:58 #3 by ant
Replied by ant on topic Firmware update failed on 2820n
I already have a static IP on the same subnet as the LAN IP of the router.

I've tried disabling the firewall and av.

I've tried the .rst file.

I've re download the firmware twice as i had the same thought.

All my previous attempts were via ethernet cable and not wireless.

The only thing I've not tried is manually putting the router in TFTP mode and flashing the firmware within 20-30 seconds, but i will try this now and let u know how i get on!

Thanks very much,
Ant

More
14 Nov 2009 18:36 #4 by ant
Replied by ant on topic Firmware update failed on 2820n
It works!

Thanks very much Macavity.

Interestingly enough, i had to use the firmware update tool as opposed TFTP client along with the .all file.

I tried the TFTP client first with the .rst file and it kept hanging at various different % completed?! Pretty odd really but hey ho its working now so its all good :P

Thanks again,
Ant

More
17 Nov 2009 07:58 #5 by gruffle
Replied by gruffle on topic Firmware update failed on 2820n
I have had this on a 2820 going from 3.3.2.1 to 3.3.3 too.
I left mine overnight to see if it sorted itself - took 4 hours!

I think what is happening is that 3.3.2.1 is getting screwed up even if you can see the problem, and this is messing with the upgrade.

Recommend always reboot the router and make sure it is running properly immediately prior to upgrading firmware.

Moderators: Sami