Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to setup FTP on 2820n

• kaozar
  • Topic Author
More
17 Nov 2009 22:25 #1 by kaozar
How to setup FTP on 2820n was created by kaozar
Hi all,

have been trying to setup FTP on the 2820n but without any luck.

I was wondering if there is a How To or a step by step guide out there?

Basically, I want to setup around 5 users to be able to access the FTP. Each with their own area which I (admin) should be able to monitor and edit and a shared folder for everyone.

I'm getting confused with NetBios Names, Samba settings and how to setup the folder structure on the storage to help support the above setup wanted.

Can someone help?

Much appreciated.

--
//KaoZar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2009 15:11 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic How to setup FTP on 2820n
To enable FTP access if you're using the USB disk feature, you will need to enable the remote management from FTP, which is under System Maintenance and Management, on there you'll need to allow management from the internet and make sure that FTP access is ticked, you should then be able to connect to it as an FTP server with the USB disk

• kaozar
  • Topic Author
More
20 Nov 2009 15:56 #3 by kaozar
Replied by kaozar on topic How to setup FTP on 2820n
Thanks for that.

what host address will i use to connect to it from let's say FileZilla?

Also, how would i go about chosing what folders they can connect to?
I have only been able to setup users accessing the default folder but cannot navigate to the shared one which is in the root?

Would I setup the folder structure as:

/root/users/user1
/root/users/user2
/root/users/user3

/root/users/shared

to enable the above?

Thanks for the help!

More
23 Nov 2009 21:34 #4 by edcartwright
Replied by edcartwright on topic How to setup FTP on 2820n
I just contacted Draytek tech support and was amazed to get told this same fix. This represents a horrible, horrible security hole in your router.

This change also allows access to the firmware and config files should someone FTP with the management admin account details. Given that it's always admin, and there is no delay built into the login, and admins are notoriously lazy about passwords, a suitable dictionary or even brute force attack will get you read and write access to these files very quickly.

Then download the config, alter it with a teleworker VPN account and upload again and voilà, you have unfettered access to the network.

You should NEVER allow admin access via the WAN.

Draytek need to fix this, and stop telling people this is a fix.

The correct method should be to port forward to the internal IP of the router in order to allow FTP access, but having already tried the USB drive functionality, it is at best flakey and fails 2-3 times a day. FTP is in any event notoriously open to hacks, and I wouldn't be allowing this on the router in any event. It's a router, not a NAS.

Moderators: Sami