DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

vigor 2800 NAT problem with a small subnet

• al__12345
  • Topic Author
More
20 Nov 2009 02:11 #1 by al__12345
I am looking for some help as i have been hitting my head against a brick wall for two days on this one.

I am using a 2800 router with an 8 ip subnet. The router is working fine and i can connect out from my internal LAN (4 machines) to the internet, i have also set up a nat rule on the router ip to allow me to rdp in to a server, all working and good so far.

Next step is to take a spare ip address in the range and nat traffic on ports 80 and 22 through to a new web server, this is where it all goes south rapidly.

I first add a 'wan ip alias' with my available ip address
next i go to the nat > port redirection and add in the two rules using

name___protocol___wan ip____________public port__private ip___private port <--- sorry for the strange fromatting it seems to strip out extra spaces!

www____tcp_____'the new wan alias'____80_____192.168.1.3_____80
ssh_____tcp_____'the new wan alias'____22_____192.168.1.3_____22

this is where it gets odd, the ssh connections go through fine but the web connections don't. Since the ssh connections work i assume that the basic setup is correct and working ok. Next i try testing the web server, from the internal 192.168 network i can browse the web server fine so i know its working ok but still no joy getting the traffic passing out to the internet. I have even built a windows web server to check there wasn't a problem with the linux box, again i can browse the web pages internally but still i don't connect from the internet.

i have tried the syslog app that draytek provide and i can see the the ssh connections in the log as they pass through but i don't see any connection attempts on port 80 either failing or succeeding.

Does anyone have any ideas at all as i am stumped....

Also i have changed the management port for the router web server from 80 to 8080 so that doesn't interfere although since i am natting on a different ip address to the router ip i cant see why it would.

thanks in advance

Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2009 09:17 #2 by nded01
Replied by nded01 on topic vigor 2800 NAT problem with a small subnet
i'll point out the obvious - have you checked that the port redirection rule is enabled?

• al__12345
  • Topic Author
More
20 Nov 2009 09:58 #3 by al__12345
Replied by al__12345 on topic vigor 2800 NAT problem with a small subnet
no problem please point out the obvious it probably is something dumb. Anyway to answer your question yes the rule is enabled

the www and ssh rules should point to .3 however i took this while testing with the alternative webserver to try to rule out the webserver as the problem.

One other thing to mention the webserver is a virtual running on a hyper v server. Again shouldnt make a difference but worth mentioning.

• al__12345
  • Topic Author
More
20 Nov 2009 14:09 #4 by al__12345
Replied by al__12345 on topic fixed
ok problem solved, it appears that the ISP has helpfully blocked port 80 inbound as this is a security risk......

Moderators: Sami