Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Network Attached Storage

• sawilson_uk
  • Topic Author
More
25 Nov 2009 20:50 #1 by sawilson_uk
Network Attached Storage was created by sawilson_uk
Dumb question time ....

I'd like to share all my files from centralised storage and be able to access them from any PC or wireless connected laptop.

I think I need NAS. I have my eye on a 1Tb Lacie box which Makro are doing cheap. But I am also thinking about a Synology DS209 or DS409 to provide iTunes server, web hosting etc.

I have the Vigor2820Vn. Is connecting these devices to the network as simple as plugging it into one of the 4 LAN ports on the front of the router with an RJ-45?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sawilson_uk
  • Topic Author
More
25 Nov 2009 21:00 #2 by sawilson_uk
Replied by sawilson_uk on topic Network Attached Storage
Clarification: The Lacie is connected with USB drive - presumably it woudl work if connected to the router rather than the PC directly. The question is really about the Synology device - does that connect to the LAN port?

Thanks for any help you can provide a networking novice.

More
25 Nov 2009 22:59 #3 by iain
Replied by iain on topic Network Attached Storage
NAS boxes usually have a standard RJ45 Ethernet socket on the back and you would connect this into one of the spare switchports on the 2820, give the NAS an IP address and off you go. Some NAS boxes support gigabit ethernet and you'd probably want to plug your LACIE into port 1 of the 2820 as this is a gigabit ethernet port whereas the others are standard 100Mbps ports.

I use a Western Digital My World Book 1Tb NAS drive in just this way.

Hope this helps.

More
30 Nov 2009 19:36 #4 by nyquist77
Replied by nyquist77 on topic Network Attached Storage
i have a related question. all my storage devices are USB for ease of transportation around the world.

how do i configure my 2820 so that my computer can see the usb storage device hard drive when wirelessly connected

thanks in advance

More
01 Dec 2009 13:40 #5 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Network Attached Storage
I have a 1Tb lacie NAS attached to the gigbit port. Works fine gives you more functionality than a NAS attached to the USB port of the 2820. Eg media streaming and if you vpn in from your laptop when away from home your mapped drive to it works just the same as if you are at home.

Howard

More
05 Dec 2009 10:37 #6 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Network Attached Storage
I have a 3TB Infrant Ready NAS NV+ running at home connected to my router via a gig switch. Seems to work a treat for me.

Moderators: Sami