Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Load Balancing across 2 ISPs?

• torchydt
  • Topic Author
More
01 Dec 2009 20:25 #1 by torchydt
2820 Load Balancing across 2 ISPs? was created by torchydt
Hi,

Have a 2820 running 3.3.3 firmware. I have ADSL from BT and have just taken on Virgin's 50 MB broadband. There will be a significant period of overlap (indeed, I may run both in perpetuity). I thought that the 2820 would let me use both together and do clever stuff re load balancing.

I have managed to get both working okay, ADSL on WAN1 and Virgin Cable on WAN2. I have both set to 'Always Active" and "Auto Balance". When using Speedtest.net, for the first few minutes it reports the 50MB throughput. However, thereafter it reverts to 12MB – which is the speed of the BT line. It's almost as if it defaults back to WAN1.

Is this expected behaviour? I'm half way between knowing what I'm doing and not (!) so any (plainish) English help would be appreciated. For now, I've set WAN1 to only kick in upon failure of WAN2, but I was sort of hoping I'd get an aggregate 60MB speed. Maybe this isn't possible?

Thanks in advance,

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2009 09:40 #2 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic 2820 Load Balancing across 2 ISPs?
similar post answered here http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=58612&highlight=#58612

• torchydt
  • Topic Author
More
05 Dec 2009 13:32 #3 by torchydt
Replied by torchydt on topic 2820 Load Balancing across 2 ISPs?

paulj48 wrote: similar post answered here http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=58612&highlight=#58612

Thanks that's helpful. Is there any practical use I can put the slower ADSL service to until such time as its contract ends? If I read your post correctly 50MB is more than enough for most things anyway. My wife and daughter also use computers on the same network. I think I could create an object/rules that push them down one connection and me down the other but that might be considered petty :-)

I'm left wondering what the design idea and intended purpose behind load balancing as built into the router are?

David

More
07 Dec 2009 12:57 #4 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic 2820 Load Balancing across 2 ISPs?

torchydt wrote:

I'm left wondering what the design idea and intended purpose behind load balancing as built into the router are?

For businesses with lots of computers all accessing the internet at the same time, but more importantly its a failsafe if one of the WAN's goes down then you still get conectivity through the other WAN a must for any business.

Moderators: Sami