DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Post 3.2.1 firmwares kill WPA/WPA2 option

• raidersan
  • Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2009 00:49 #1 by raidersan
Hi,

Bought a 2820 last year and was pretty happy with it, accessing it through WPA2 security on my 10.5 macbook.
One day I had to allow a occasional guest onto the router and switched to WPA/WPA2 option instead, again without problem.
Until the day I decided to upgrade the firmware quite a few months ago. I believe it was 3.2.3 or 3.3.0, I really cannot be sure. But my WIFI performance just died, with file transfer peaking at 750kb/HOUR!! I decided to flash the original firmware back and everything was fine again.
When I saw 3.3.3, I decided to take the plunge, but now the problem is back. The only way to solve it is to go with WPA2 only, which is a problem.
BTW, I am on Mixed 11g+n

thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• raidersan
  • Topic Author
More
12 Dec 2009 10:55 #2 by raidersan
Replied by raidersan on topic Post 3.2.1 firmwares kill WPA/WPA2 option
In fact, after further tests, I can actually point it straight to WPA.
Since that firmware upgrade, I cannot set my security either in WPA or WPA/WPA2 combination. Doing so just kills file transfer speeds on os x 10.5 or 10.6
Does anybody have any idea where the problem could be? I have no problem at a friend's house on his netgear router with WPA.
The problem seem to be with file transfer, although I am not sure if webpages also load at slow speed but are small enough not to appear too slow.

More
13 Dec 2009 10:11 #3 by jmn
I have a 2820Vn (version 3.3.3) with WPA on mixed g+n on a Mac network (G4 PowerBook, MacBook Pro, iMac) plus two PCs). SYNC speed is only 7.4 Mbps on ADSL2+ (I am 5.1 km from the exchange so don't expect much better).

Tranfer speed between remote server->Mac network is 680 kB/sec using scp.

Are you using FTP for file transfer?

John

JMN

• raidersan
  • Topic Author
More
13 Dec 2009 10:41 #4 by raidersan
Replied by raidersan on topic Post 3.2.1 firmwares kill WPA/WPA2 option
No, I am using the finder so I suppose that is OSX's native AFP, and it seems that any transmission is slow as my web pages also load slowly, so I think the problem is right at low level with WPA, either router or OS X

More
11 Jan 2010 10:56 #5 by jmn
I may now have seen a similar problem: very slow transmission on WiFi. I discovered this on the MacBook Pro on my network which was mixed 11g + n. The MacBook selected 11n (see System Profiler) but from time to time the speed dropped from 78 Mbps to 5 (!!). Elsewhere on the net I found comments suggesting that mixed g+n was not a good idea. Then I changed the 2820 to 11g only. Problem solved. Transmission steady at 54 Mbps (which is more than enough on my network where other systems can only deal with 11g). Later investigations showed that file transfer speed would drop from around 650 kB/s (my SYNC speed is around 6.9 Mbps so 650 kB/s is acceptable) to only 5 to 7 kB/s !! (Your problem as well.) Wifi connection was still 54 Mbps. This drop was related to persistently high CRC errors. Note that the 2820 error counter is only 16 bits so wraps at 65535.
Fix: telnet router: adsl idle; adsl reboot. A full reboot of the 2820 is not necessary. This cures/resets the CRC error problem and file transfer speed immediately reverts to normal 650 kBps. JMN

JMN

Moderators: Sami