DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2710n WOL query - please help

• oxideTM
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2009 18:55 #1 by oxideTM
2710n WOL query - please help was created by oxideTM
I have searched high and low for an all-in-one ADSL router that has the function to WOL my home computer across the internet.

Many sites hint that the Draytek Vigor range can do this ie. the 'Triggering WOL from the WUI' section at the bottom of this page http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_wol.html
This is exactly what I am looking for but it only mentions it for the Vigor2800/2700 series.

Please may someone confirm that if I set up the 2710n to be accessed via the web remote management page, I can then send a WOL packet to my pc on the network like in the picture above?

And if this can't be done from the WUI - how else can it be setup to work for WOL via the internet.

Would really appreciate some definitive answers as it seems that document is out of date :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2009 21:01 #2 by njh
Replied by njh on topic 2710n WOL query - please help
I don't know the 2710's capabilities, but just about all of their routers support the "wol up xxxxxxx" from a telnet session. This would require you to allow remote telnet management.

If the 2710 supports VPN's, you could VPN to the router then telnet into its LAN address.

Someone else will have to say if the GUI supports the WOL function.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

More
22 Dec 2009 21:49 #3 by rhubarb
Replied by rhubarb on topic 2710n WOL query - please help
Hi

My V2710n has the WOL panel as shown on page 139 of the UK user manual available from this page .

I've just logged in using HTTP from a remote IP and the WOL page is accessible.

HTH - Andy

Edit: The remote HTTP access route is flawed by the fact that you can access quite a bit on the V2710 without a password!! What you want to do can be achieved by enabling remote telnet access only and using the "wol up <MAC Address>/<IP Address>" command (as suggested above).

• oxideTM
  • Topic Author
More
23 Dec 2009 10:40 #4 by oxideTM
Replied by oxideTM on topic 2710n WOL query - please help
Really appreciate your answers guys - finally definitive confirmation :)

Now I need to save up for one - they are rather expensive!

btw howcome you can't set a password for http access? surely that is a massive security risk not to be able to do so.

More
23 Dec 2009 12:26 #5 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2710n WOL query - please help
You can, but because there's an admin account called admin and a user account with a blank username, you'll need to log in to each one to set up the password.

More
23 Dec 2009 12:47 #6 by rhubarb
Replied by rhubarb on topic 2710n WOL query - please help

Voodle wrote: You can, but because there's an admin account called admin and a user account with a blank username, you'll need to log in to each one to set up the password.

Well you learn something every day........Thank you. :)

It hadn't dawned on me to add a password for the user account as well as admin. :oops:

As you were for the OP, you can login via remote HTTP quite safely and use the WOL facility.

Thanks again - Andy. :D

Moderators: Sami