DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2910 won't get new IP address from modem

• technicalmuse
  • Topic Author
More
27 Dec 2009 02:53 #1 by technicalmuse
2910 won't get new IP address from modem was created by technicalmuse
I'm using a 2910VG and everything has been fine for about 3 years. But in the last 2 weeks, I'm not able to view several domains I administer except through a proxy. Turns out my supposedly dynamic IP address is blacklisted in multiple places. Virgin Media swears the IP is dynamic and, sure enough, if I go straight from modem to computer, I get a new IP address. But as soon as I loop the router back in, despite setting it to obtain an IP addy from the modem, it keeps reverting to the problematic IP address. Any suggestions? I've done the release/renew thing in multiple ways, reverted to factory settings, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions; it is terribly inconvenient (and just plain wrong) to have to remove the router in order to edit & browse to certain websites.

Denna Hintze-Yates

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2009 08:28 #2 by njh
With VM your address is almost static but not quite. Every time you turn the router on, the CM sees the routers MAC address and transmits it to VM's DHCP server (the UBR or CMTS?). If it can the DHCP server will always try to hand out the same IP address as it has recorded against that MAC address from before. Your network card in your PC has a different MAC address from your Router so when the PC is directly connected to the CM you get a different WAN IP address.

Now, if you stay disconnected for long enough, the DHCP server may hand your last address out to someone else, in which case you will get a new address when you reconnect. The thing is that no one knows how long is long enough. It can be hours or days.

There is an alternative solution if your router allows you to clone MAC addresses. If it does, use it with, say, the MAC address from your PC. You can find your PC's MAC address by opening a command prompt then running the command "ipconfig /all".

[edit]Remember to reboot CM after changing the MAC[/edit]

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami