DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Dual WAN Setup on 2820

More
09 Jan 2010 18:58 #1 by cocospm
Dual WAN Setup on 2820 was created by cocospm
Hi,

Reading around these forums suggest there can be issues with load balancing and failover with a 2820 in dual WAN setup. I would like to elicit users' practical experience with the 2820 with 2 ADSL WANs. In my case I (will very shortly) have a primary ADSL connection on WAN1, with a second backup ADSL on WAN2 (connected via a Vigor 120 in bridge mode). Both ADSL connections will be similar effective speeds, but with a lower usage allowance on WAN2.

What I would like to achieve is some load balancing between WAN1 and WAN2 such that (a) on WAN1 failure all traffic will failover to WAN2 and (b) on subsequent WAN1 recovery for traffic to auto-return to original load balancing as sessions expire on WAN2. Will the 2820 do all this without problem if I, say, set WAN1 and WAN2 to Auto Weight load balancing? How does the Draytek perform auto weighting - as WAN2 is bridged through a Vigor 120, will the 2820 see WAN2 as a 100MB Ethernet link and 'balance' most traffic on WAN2? Will the re-balancing properly occur after recovery of a failed WAN1?

If absolutely necessary, I can live with using WAN1 exclusively, and have the 2820 failover to WAN2 as necessary by using "WAN1 Fail" for "Active on Demand" on WAN2. However, I suspect that the 2820 will not fall back to WAN1 when WAN1 comes back up, or am I wrong?

Anyone have practical experiences with all this on the 2820? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2010 09:57 #2 by lozstlouis
Replied by lozstlouis on topic Dual WAN Setup on 2820
It allows you to set a percentage of traffic or leave it to sort itself out. You could then do an 80/20 split or suchlike. The failover of WAN1 should then shove all traffic down WAN2.

I have found that the failover will sometimes need a bit of manual intervention. Under the "internet access" settings there is a "WAN Connection Detection" you may need to change it from "ARP detection" to "PING detection" & then set it to ping the ISP gateway. Still takes a minute or two to kick in though.

Bit of experimentation may be needed...

www.alits.co.uk

More
12 Jan 2010 18:55 #3 by cocospm
Replied by cocospm on topic Dual WAN Setup on 2820

lozstlouis wrote: I have found that the failover will sometimes need a bit of manual intervention...

Bit of experimentation may be needed...

Yes, it's observations like these that concern me. Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Moderators: Sami