DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2950 and leased line/sdsl

More
13 Jan 2010 17:34 #1 by beckg
Draytek 2950 and leased line/sdsl was created by beckg
Hello - a newbie question.

We are using this router in a dual wan configuration with Telewest broadband and BT broadband - and it works really well (!) ....except that there has been too much down time with the Telewest line. So we are thinking of getting a leased line from Telewest or BT. Another option is Surestream SDSL from Easynet.

These companies provide their own routers as part of the managed service, and so my question is, would we be able to continue using the Draytek as the main gateway for internet/vpn access, connected to the provided router using bridge mode or something - or would we have to switch to using their router? One of the routers mentioned is the cisco 1841.

(it is impossible to get any technical information from the ISPs about how this could work)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2010 11:46 #2 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic Draytek 2950 and leased line/sdsl
I use a 2950 with a Cisco router provided by Telewest Business for an MIA10mb private line.

You'll find that any ISP that provides a managed line will provide a router that will be totally unconfigerable to the end user.

Our Cisco router provided has had its firewall function switched off, it just 'passes' our static IP range to our 2950 and that does all the routing/firwall work.

More
15 Jan 2010 15:04 #3 by beckg
Replied by beckg on topic Draytek 2950 and leased line/sdsl
Thanks paulj48 - that is what I wanted to hear!

I much prefer to use the Draytek 2950 which is really easy to configure, compared to the Cisco which looks very complicated.

Both Telewest and BT are selling a managed router leased line service where it looks like THEY control the router, without a thought for how you will configure the router to set up the firewall and vpn etc. To be fair, Telewest said that the cisco could be use in bridge mode, but advised using it as the primary router.

I was just wondering how using the cisco in this mode affects your sla with Telewest and the line monitoring if there are problems because they can no longer manage the router in this state?

More
15 Jan 2010 17:12 #4 by paulj48
I've got an MIA10mb with Telewest Business (althought its Virgin really and Virgin engineers did the install) in Bolton.

They provided and installed in our server room a 'Worldwide Packets Lightning Edge 46' this terminates the fibres and provides a RJ45 connection. Then a Cisco 1841 is connected to that and a RJ45 lead from the Cisco is fed out of their cabinet for me to use as I see fit.

I did not get any choice of configeration options and I even quized the networks engineer who attended site for the Cisco programming and hand over about this. He said I would have to provide my own router/firewall as the Cisco is locked down and for their use only.

Even though the cisco has the ability to be used as a firewall Telewest do not give you that option.

The bit where you mention that Telewest said the cisco could be use in bridge mode, but advised using it as the primary router. Not sure what you mean there as the Cisco at my site is in theory used as the primary router and it would allways have to be.

In theory you could attach the Cisco directly to your LAN and give your static IP's to a few computers on that LAN. They would have internet access but they would not be firewalled and all other computers on the LAN would not have internet access and would be highly advised against.

LMK if you need any more info.

More
15 Jan 2010 17:39 #5 by beckg
Replied by beckg on topic Draytek 2950 and leased line/sdsl
Thanks for your help - your type of setup is what I want to achieve. What you are saying is that I can just plug the Cisco into the Draytek and use the Draytek as the gateway on the LAN.

Perhaps I was using the wrong terminology, but by "bridge-mode" I mean using the Cisco router rather like a cable modem to pass the external IP to the Draytek, with all the firewall functions in the Cisco turned off etc

I was under the impression that if the Cisco was used as a primary router, then it would have its own external IP address and would not pass it through to the Draytek router. Then you would need to set up the two routers to talk to each other with a separate subnet etc

Do you have the Draytek 2950 WAN connection set up with the "Static or dynamic IP" option, with "Obtain an IP automatically" selected?

More
18 Jan 2010 11:15 #6 by paulj48
Just plug the Draytek into the Cisco and the Cisco will pass all you allcated public IP's through to your Draytek. The Cisco will have its own public address, just point your Draytek's gateway address at that.

I have the 2950 setup to use a 'static' setup providing just 1 of my static ip's, a gateway address (i.e the Cisco's public IP) and the subnet address. I dont have to setup any usernames or paswords as thats what the Cisco does.

Moderators: Sami