DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Making the 2710 USB port work.

• eddyad
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jan 2010 18:29 #1 by eddyad
Making the 2710 USB port work. was created by eddyad
After two days and about five hours struggling with this, here are the key things I found, not in the User Guides.

After the Quick Start process (which is fine) you may get Error: 623: "The system could not find the phone book entry for this connection." when browsing the web. To correct this go to Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, click the Connections tab and select "Never dial a connection". Click OK.

To setting up USB storage you must have firmware 3.3.2 The specific download ID (e.g. AnnexA is used for modem code 211801) is at the top of the page you get by signing on to Vigor (http://192.168.1.1) as admin, password admin. Thanks to Voodle for posting the Firmware upgrade link:
http://draytek.com/user/SupportDownloadsDetail.php?action=Load&MID=10&ID=339
and the USB set-up PDF:
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13768
This document is generally good, but caught me out on some points:

1. In USB Disk Status the words Disk Connected will probably be black, not green as stated.
2. In USB User Management enter the User Name and Password you want to use for the USB connection - not your ISP. To get access to the complete drive just put / To use the disk as a normal local drive check all the Access Rules.
3. I couldn't get the check on the FTP service to work, but that didn't seem to matter.
4. You may need to add a new network place by specifying ftp://192.168.1.1 I'm not sure about this as I did it when I was trying to get Samba working. Incidentally if you don't have Network Places in your Start menu: Right click "Start", then Properties, Customize, Advanced tab then scroll down to My Network Places and check it. OK, OK.
5. To access the Samba service, you may not have an address bar in your Explorer windows. In any Explorer window (e.g. My Computer) click View, Toolbars, Address Bar.
6. If you get an access error when you enter \\192.168.1.1 in an explorer address bar it is likely to be your Firewall. This stumped me for hours until i found a similar problem with another make of router.
Your Firewall must allow access. In Zone Alarm, open the main window, click Firewall and select Zones on the left. Then choose Add, Subnet and set Zone: Trusted, IP address: 192.168.1.1, Subnet: 255 255 255 0, Description: anything you like- e.g. Draytek USB. OK then close the Zone Alarm window. The Explorer \\192.168.1.1 should now work. If it doesn't shut down Zone Alarm, accept the update if it asks then start it immedaitely from Start, Programs.
7. Finally click your user name, enter the User ID and password entered for the USB connection and you should see your USB drive like any other.
8. Once it works you can create a shortcut to your User ID on your desktop by right-click-dragging from the explorer window in (6)

Finally, thanks again to Voodle for getting me on the right path to this lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2010 13:45 #2 by nicp01
Replied by nicp01 on topic 2710n usb ext drive
many thks eddyad I'm up and running thks to your post...

have you set it up yet to be able to access your drive from the internet?

am I right in thinking you have to change the prot address on the router before setting up NAT which uses the router?

• eddyad
  • Topic Author
More
01 Feb 2010 16:01 #3 by eddyad
Replied by eddyad on topic Making the 2710 USB port work.
Hi, I'm glad to have been of help.
I can access the drive over wired and wireless connections at home but haven't tried from a remote PC if that is what you meant.
I didn't change anything on the router except the user ID and password. I'n such a novice at this lot that I did the minimum that seemed to make it work.

Incidentally I hit a strange problem. I have a number of USB memory sticks and one in particular gave problems in the router. It'a a memorex and when plugged into the router all the folders/files on it with long filen and folder names were invisible whereas they are OK on my PC. It seemed totally illogical until I looked at the file system and it showed FAT. So I copied the contents to my PC, formatted the drive to FAT32, copied the data back and it's OK.
Two Freecom 'Databars' also report FAT but are OK on the Vigor. I wonder what's going on here?

More
01 Feb 2010 16:51 #4 by nicp01
Replied by nicp01 on topic Making the 2710 USB port work.
I too have been having problems...my 8gb titanium works ok....then I tried with 2 ext drives...1 300gb wont work its NTFS, the other is 80GB I partitoned it into 3 ie G H I 2 x 32768 and the third the remainder, formatted FAT32 ..Ive just plugged it in and it comes up with 76319 capacity 32579 free capacity in USB APPs\Disk Status..I'll try my other pen drives when I can find them,,,see how I get on...
I shall now try to set up external access to my sons 2710n and he can try to access mine... ( dell vostro-windows 7)

As an aside off topic, I set up my son in laws yesterday another 2710n (dell with xp sp3) and his apple ipod touch worked great by wireless just needed the wep aphanumerics ...and then he connected his new wii in and it picked it up, same wep, connected and downloaded a large upgrade and he was surfing on his big tv thru the wii when I left......wonderful...wher's it all going to go

I'll keep you posted...
peter

Moderators: Sami