DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

problem with telephone line or router or telephone?

• stanbyk
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jan 2010 07:19 #1 by stanbyk
Hi,

maybe some of you guys can help me.
I played recent moved my 2820Vn closer to the telephone socket. At the moment the adsl filter is connected directly to the test socked.

If I connect my phone (dualphone) to the phone port on the adsl filter I get a massive echo on the line. If I connect an older BT phone to the same line, the line seems to be fine and there is no echo. The same is true if I connect the phones directly to the test socket without the filter in place.

If I now connect my 2820Vn to the telephone port on the adsl filter the 2820Vn starts beeping madly and after a few seconds starts to reboot.

If I then connect my phone (the one with the echo) to the router and use it to make voice ip calls the phone is fine and I get no echo at all.

The recapitulate: I have one phone which works fine and two pieces of equipment which don't seem to like my phone line, that is the 2820Vn and my other phone which used to work fine until recently.

Also, please note I tried different telephone cables.

According to BT my telephone line is fine.

Can anybody please help me diagnose the problem? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Robert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2010 12:50 #2 by runningdeere

StanByk wrote:
If I connect my phone (dualphone) to the phone port on the adsl filter I get a massive echo on the line. If I connect an older BT phone to the same line, the line seems to be fine and there is no echo. The same is true if I connect the phones directly to the test socket without the filter in place.

This would seem to suggest that your phone is faulty, since you have this problem when connected directly to the test socket.

StanByk wrote:
If I now connect my 2820Vn to the telephone port on the adsl filter the 2820Vn starts beeping madly and after a few seconds starts to reboot.

Your router should NOT be connected to the phone socket on the ADSL filter, it should be connected to the ADSL socket on the filter.

• stanbyk
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jan 2010 13:53 #3 by stanbyk

runningdeere wrote:

StanByk wrote:

This would seem to suggest that your phone is faulty, since you have this problem when connected directly to the test socket.

StanByk wrote:

Your router should NOT be connected to the phone socket on the ADSL filter, it should be connected to the ADSL socket on the filter.

The router IS connected to the ADSL socket, but the 2820Vn has an option to plug in a telephone cable in order to pass on incoming BT telephone calls to a VOIP phone. This is a dedicated socket on the back of the router and this is the socket I was talking about. I wasn't talking about the adsl connection. This setup was working perfectly well until recently (I didn't change anything)

Moderators: Sami