DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

o2 ADSL2+ Success?

• srooks
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jan 2010 15:59 #1 by srooks
o2 ADSL2+ Success? was created by srooks
Anyone successfully using a Draytek with o2 broadband?
I've read that draytek modems aren't as quick as the o2 supplied (thomson) units. Is this true?
I've had several draytek's but don't want to lose any Mbits!

thanks,
steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2010 16:43 #2 by g6ifs
Replied by g6ifs on topic o2 ADSL2+ Success?
You don't say which Draytek you are using.
I am using a Draytek 2820n with o2 broadband and an IPlate, The o2 supplied modem gave me about 6Mb, the 2820n gives me 7.99 Mb and I have no issues with the latest firmware 3.3.3.
Remember that o2 MUST be set differently to a "normal" ADSL provider. There is a FAQ on this site giving details (might be still showing as a "BE" ISP).
I used to use a 2800 but it was not happy with o2 as it could not use the different modulation used by o2 correctly (also an FAQ on this site about why).

Neil..

More
23 Jan 2010 19:47 #3 by dbames
Replied by dbames on topic Re: o2 ADSL2+ Success?

srooks wrote: Anyone successfully using a Draytek with o2 broadband?

Yes, I'm currently using my 2820Vn on a 20mbit o2 line.

srooks wrote: I've read that draytek modems aren't as quick as the o2 supplied (thomson) units. Is this true?

Again yes. You will lose a 500kbit-750kbit (from my experience) when using the 2820 compared to the o2-supplied Thomson unit (I had a v2).

If this really is an issue you can configure the o2 box to run in a pass-through configuration into the 2820. That way you'll keep max line sync; downside is the config is a bit more painful and you need to have two boxes running (higher electricity bill)

Moderators: Sami